Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late morning you abandon your morning set up and start out to look for a hot bird on public land. After avoiding a couple hunters with decoys out you sneak down the edge of a clear cut and cautiously crawl into a corner of the woods and move about 30 feet: you suddenly notice a bird about 10 yards from you that had been hid from view during your approach by some waist high shrubs . Slowly raise you gun from the side and notice a second bird with a red head. After a few seconds you question weather the birds are real or decoys. There is no sign of another hunter, there has not been a sound from anything.

Question if it is your set up what do you do?

Question 2 if it was you that walked into the set what do you do?

We slowly backed out but my concern as if the hunter was all right or even alive. I did not set any vehicles in that area so they may have even been abandoned decoys.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
My set I would whistle loudly till I got the person's attention .

If I walked up on this I'd freeze . Odds of walking up on two turkeys at 10 yds and not spooking them is unlikely . You should be able to tell at 10 yds a decoy from a turkey . Even with today's decoys .
If I determine they are decoys I'm going to whistle till I can confirm if anyone else is around before moving.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts