Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

New Scioto River Spot Advice

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Trailhead 
#1 ·
As many have already expressed, this is a tough year based on the warm weather=no birds; the slowest season ever for me. That being said, I can't resist getting out of the house this weekend and getting on some new water in South zone to check things out. I have hunted various stretches of the Scioto River (from the bank, not boat) my entire life, having grown up in Scioto County, and there are always at least a few locals and early migrators, even in the warmest weather.

I have a new farmer/property permission that is just shy of a mile of river. Imagine the river along this property in the shape of a recurve bow, a long sweeping bend north to south. The mid section, the inside of the long bend, has a sandbar. The south end of the property, there is a confluence with a pretty good size creek.

Since I am working all week, I can't get down to scout. I am looking for advice on a setup, going in blind, not knowing where the birds wanna be yet.

Would you set up down at the confluence or at the inside of the bend at the sandbar? I have my thoughts on pro's and cons, but curious what everyone else thinks or river location you've had more success with?

P.S. new to the forum this month.
Thanks!!
Trailhead

See less See more
#3 ·
I am defnitely leaning toward the sand bar, considering that honkers like to land and hang there too; seen plenty over the years on Scioto Sand Bars...but the confluence comment is right on. Some of our best river spotsin years past have been where creeks empty. I think they like the new food that comes out.

I'm getting excited we might actually seee a few new birds this weekend with the colder weather coming tomorrow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.