Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to see what everyone thinks of these new "freaks of nature"
https://ravincrossbows.com/shop/

The R500E has an optional electric cocking mechanism. I have the Ravin R26 and love it, but the prices on these new crossbows are insane. With tax, you'll be looking at $4k for the R500E sniper package.

The R18 "vertical" crossbow is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. It's $1,550 with a speed of 330 fps.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Parker used air as a cocker years ago, so electro mechanical was the obvious next step. As an engineer I enjoy seeing the designs take the speeds to new heights. But it obviously isn't cheap. Im of the opinion, if it kills faster/cleaner go for it.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
I’m a TenPoint guy myself, Ohio made.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Curious to see what everyone thinks of these new "freaks of nature"
Products Archive - Ravin Crossbows

The R500E has an optional electric cocking mechanism. I have the Ravin R26 and love it, but the prices on these new crossbows are insane. With tax, you'll be looking at $4k for the R500E sniper package.

The R18 "vertical" crossbow is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. It's $1,550 with a speed of 330 fps.
I am not against faster bows, what I am against is what ( SOME HUNTERS ) not all will think they can do with one of these fastest market bows. It already happens with bows that hit 300 & 400 FPS, some hunters will take a shot as far as what they can hit a target. Without going into all the things that are different between hitting a target and a real live bird or animal at longer distances I will simply say the two are as different as night and day ! That is what makes me squirm when I see these new bows, even some that will now shoot two arrows at a time. Industry knows that updates sell, and that is the main thing that drives the new changes in bows and about everything else including cars. I have a 365 Killer Instinct and 40 yards would be stretching a shot knowing the animal can not get out of the way before the arrow arrives on target if the aim is right. This is all the bow I would ever need and more and it only cost about $300 5-6 years ago and has killed more deer then that already with complete pass throughs ! NUFF SAID on this subject. Choose and use wisely.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Parker used air as a cocker years ago, so electro mechanical was the obvious next step. As an engineer I enjoy seeing the designs take the speeds to new heights. But it obviously isn't cheap. Im of the opinion, if it kills faster/cleaner go for it.
I wonder if an arrow traveling 400-500 + FPS and having complete pass through will kill faster then an arrow doing the same thing at 300 FPS ??? Something tells me NO ! Deer mainly die from hemorrhaging, bleeding from what the broadhead cut when passing through, that being said they will both die just as fast if (ANY) speeded arrow cuts the same things ! New gadgets and features sell products, that's what it's all about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts