Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to see what everyone thinks of these new "freaks of nature"
https://ravincrossbows.com/shop/

The R500E has an optional electric cocking mechanism. I have the Ravin R26 and love it, but the prices on these new crossbows are insane. With tax, you'll be looking at $4k for the R500E sniper package.

The R18 "vertical" crossbow is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. It's $1,550 with a speed of 330 fps.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Parker used air as a cocker years ago, so electro mechanical was the obvious next step. As an engineer I enjoy seeing the designs take the speeds to new heights. But it obviously isn't cheap. Im of the opinion, if it kills faster/cleaner go for it.

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
I’m a TenPoint guy myself, Ohio made.

Reactions: powerbandjohnny

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Products Archive - Ravin Crossbows

The R500E has an optional electric cocking mechanism. I have the Ravin R26 and love it, but the prices on these new crossbows are insane. With tax, you'll be looking at $4k for the R500E sniper package.

The R18 "vertical" crossbow is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. It's $1,550 with a speed of 330 fps.
I am not against faster bows, what I am against is what ( SOME HUNTERS ) not all will think they can do with one of these fastest market bows. It already happens with bows that hit 300 & 400 FPS, some hunters will take a shot as far as what they can hit a target. Without going into all the things that are different between hitting a target and a real live bird or animal at longer distances I will simply say the two are as different as night and day ! That is what makes me squirm when I see these new bows, even some that will now shoot two arrows at a time. Industry knows that updates sell, and that is the main thing that drives the new changes in bows and about everything else including cars. I have a 365 Killer Instinct and 40 yards would be stretching a shot knowing the animal can not get out of the way before the arrow arrives on target if the aim is right. This is all the bow I would ever need and more and it only cost about $300 5-6 years ago and has killed more deer then that already with complete pass throughs ! NUFF SAID on this subject. Choose and use wisely.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Parker used air as a cocker years ago, so electro mechanical was the obvious next step. As an engineer I enjoy seeing the designs take the speeds to new heights. But it obviously isn't cheap. Im of the opinion, if it kills faster/cleaner go for it.
I wonder if an arrow traveling 400-500 + FPS and having complete pass through will kill faster then an arrow doing the same thing at 300 FPS ??? Something tells me NO ! Deer mainly die from hemorrhaging, bleeding from what the broadhead cut when passing through, that being said they will both die just as fast if (ANY) speeded arrow cuts the same things ! New gadgets and features sell products, that's what it's all about.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The faster bows don't kill any quicker, it's the guy that double lungs them that kills them faster ! Many of the 300 fps bows and even slower will kill them just as fast ! "IT'S ALL IN SHOT PLACEMENT" no shocking power with archery equipment.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The faster bows don't kill any quicker, it's the guy that double lungs them that kills them faster ! Many of the 300 fps bows and even slower will kill them just as fast ! "IT'S ALL IN SHOT PLACEMENT" no shocking power with archery equipment.
dont yell at me that "ITS ALL IN SHOT PLACEMENT"....your that guy ....I ignored your post from 6 months ago, as I do most of your posts because there the same thing...obviously shot placement is critical, no one needs the PA sheriff to remind them of that. but saying that speed "cant" make a difference is just being dishonest. a compound bow is a much more effective bow at killing deer than a recurve - period! -are deer killed by recurves...lots....but the there's always a pecking order of efficiency in everything.

and your shocking power comment....since the kinetic energy equation of E=1/2MV2 (velocity is squared) shows us that speed is very important when a shot goes awry, a good arrow, with a solid made broad head, proper f.o.c. weight will ensure that arrow will punch thru that shoulder you weren't aiming for, but prepared for in a "worst case scenario"....yes, we all want the deer was heads down when we shoot, but crap happens...I like to choose the tool I feel gives me the best edge to get the job done cleanly.

don't twist my words to meet your personal quest to show how "ethical" you are, nobody here needs your ethic lessons.

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
I thought it was just me. Guy only chimes in to nitpick. Had to climb into a thread where another member and I were discussing deer blinds only to say if you have the means and knowledge you can make them cheaper. No kidding!!! That wasn’t the question that was asked though. PA must suck worse than I ever imagined. And I imagine it sucks pretty fair

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
dont yell at me that "ITS ALL IN SHOT PLACEMENT"....your that guy ....I ignored your post from 6 months ago, as I do most of your posts because there the same thing...obviously shot placement is critical, no one needs the PA sheriff to remind them of that. but saying that speed "cant" make a difference is just being dishonest. a compound bow is a much more effective bow at killing deer than a recurve - period! -are deer killed by recurves...lots....but the there's always a pecking order of efficiency in everything.

and your shocking power comment....since the kinetic energy equation of E=1/2MV2 (velocity is squared) shows us that speed is very important when a shot goes awry, a good arrow, with a solid made broad head, proper f.o.c. weight will ensure that arrow will punch thru that shoulder you weren't aiming for, but prepared for in a "worst case scenario"....yes, we all want the deer was heads down when we shoot, but crap happens...I like to choose the tool I feel gives me the best edge to get the job done cleanly.

don't twist my words to meet your personal quest to show how "ethical" you are, nobody here needs your ethic lessons.
Well smart mouth you just agreed with me, I didn't say speed didn't make a difference ! I said it doesn't kill them faster, you said that ! Yes speed makes the arrow shoot flatter as it does a bullet, everyone knows that ! But kill faster not with an arrow but a bullet, yes because the more speed the more shocking power. And I didn't say a thing about ethics jerk ! It only takes so much Kinetic energy to shoot through a deer, anything after that is wasted energy.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Products Archive - Ravin Crossbows

I thought it was just me. Guy only chimes in to nitpick. Had to climb into a thread where another member and I were discussing deer blinds only to say if you have the means and knowledge you can make them cheaper. No kidding!!! That wasn’t the question that was asked though. PA must suck worse than I ever imagined. And I imagine it sucks pretty fair
Yeah I saw that. My nephew wants to try. And I could design it. But I don’t want a prototype. I am too damn old for that haha! On the topic of this six month old debate, a good shot at 20 yds or less trumps anything. And it’s those 5 and 10 yd encounters when there is no shot that keeps me there.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Just tried to save a smart person money was all ! I already saw what they cost !

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah I saw that. My nephew wants to try. And I could design it. But I don’t want a prototype. I am too damn old for that haha! On the topic of this six month old debate, a good shot at 20 yds or less trumps anything. And it’s those 5 and 10 yd encounters when there is no shot that keeps me there.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Well smart mouth you just agreed with me, I didn't say speed didn't make a difference ! I said it doesn't kill them faster, you said that ! Yes speed makes the arrow shoot flatter as it does a bullet, everyone knows that ! But kill faster not with an arrow but a bullet, yes because the more speed the more shocking power. And I didn't say a thing about ethics jerk ! It only takes so much Kinetic energy to shoot through a deer, anything after that is wasted energy.
Sure chief ...I'm done with your double speak you joker...lol...A warden, scholar, and a physicist to boot, ill let the folks at ten point know your available to hire...here they been doing it all wrong...

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Sure chief ...I'm done with your double speak you joker...lol...A warden, scholar, and a physicist to boot, ill let the folks at ten point know your available to hire...here they been doing it all wrong...
They did take away their lifetime warrantee, that tells me all I need to know ! Only 5 years on the limbs, there are manufacturers that think enough of their products and customers to offer a 100% warrantee ! I bought from them ! OH and they were a fraction of the price and I haven't had to touch a thing in 5-6 years and it is still right on. The first shot the last three years cut holes at 20 yards ! Can't beat that at any price ! have a great season !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts