Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

new property in athens

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  wvdogbearhunter 
#1 ·
after five years of hunting aep property with no luck i finally me and a buddy got permission to hunt 185 acres in athens co. never hunted here before but it felt pretty good when i went up this morning to hang my cameras not have to worry about people bothering them hopefully. just wondering hows the hunting in this county compared to others. thanks.

#7 ·
It's the same all over. I'm from Upper Michigan and the pressure up here is to much. Suck's when you pay 200.00 for a game cam and you have to worry about another hunter stealing it. I will let you all know how the pressure down there compares to up here. I can't wait for November. I wish you the best of luck on the property you have permission on.

#9 ·
after five years of hunting aep property with no luck i finally me and a buddy got permission to hunt 185 acres in athens co. never hunted here before but it felt pretty good when i went up this morning to hang my cameras not have to worry about people bothering them hopefully. just wondering hows the hunting in this county compared to others. thanks.
Did you ask the owner how many other people were allowed to hunt the property? Maybe it's just my luck, but it seems like now a days if they let you hunt they will let others as well. Hopefully this is not the case, but you may get a surprise about how many others hunt the property (especially in a popular county like athens). 185 acres is a nice piece, but it's not huge. You get 8-10 hunters on that and you might as well hunt state ground. I would ask the owner how many others hunt the property before I did anything. If it's your only private spot I would try to make it work, but by asking you'll have an idea what the place might look like opening day, weekends, rut, etc. Nothing worse thinking you have a property to yourself to pull up opening day to a parade of trucks parked.

#10 ·
how i found the land was through a guy who knows the land owner which is from another state and the guys who hunted it are getting to old and it wasnt even hunted last year. they didnt want to sell the property because its been in the family for over fifty years so they leased me the hunting rights to help with the taxes.

#11 ·
how i found the land was through a guy who knows the land owner which is from another state and the guys who hunted it are getting to old and it wasnt even hunted last year. they didnt want to sell the property because its been in the family for over fifty years so they leased me the hunting rights to help with the taxes.
I see.......you leased it....you didn't say that in your original post. You should be ok then as far as pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.