Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been debating over the past couple of years on whether to get a Feist to use for squirrels. Squirrel hunting is my favorite kind of hunting, second only to whitetails. I took the plunge this year and got a nice female pup. I'll start training her in about a month on basic commands and walking on a lead. By January, I hope to have her fully treeing squirrels on her own. I'm excited to add this new dimension to my hunting. Now to find some new spots...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Squirrel hunting with dogs is the only way to hunt them
I hunt with curs. Good luck and just your pup in the woods and it will be treeing in no time.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sounds good. I bet your excited. I always wanted a squirrel dog. Iv hunted with some that were impressive but have never had one.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I've seen em hunt with dogs on KET (Kentucky Afield) and it looks like a ton o fun. Maybe one day.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Congrats on the new puppy. She's a cute one.

Get her all trained, and maybe we could trade a squirrel hunt for a rabbit hunt!

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Cutie!!! Have fun! (which I know you will) There is something very special about heading afield with a dog.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You will have alot of fun with it. My dad always talked about getting one so i bought him a mountain cur pup two years ago and now he is hooked. It is neat to watch them work i grew up with coonhounds that rely on their nose it was different to watch a dog hunt using it eyes ears and nose. Dad said now he hates to see em hit on the road he said they should all die fallin out of a tree to a good dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts