Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting a dubbing brush spinning tool, but didn't want to pay $80-200 for one. Luckily for me, I have a father who is retired, seems a little bored sometimes, and is very good working with wood projects. I gave him the details and specs, sent him a few YouTube videos, and from 4 states away he pretty much nailed it. Here is the device:

For those unfamiliar with the concept, this thing essentially makes a dubbing loop using thin wire to trap and spin materials together. You can blend colors and styles of materials in a streamer or dubbing "brush" as they are called. So far I have been playing with Senyo Laser Yarn in it to make brushes for small streamers, blending a few colors in each brush. Once you lay the loose material over the wire on the table, run the wire back over the top of the materials to trap it. Then start spinning, and lightly brush the material when it starts to get trapped. The results are pretty cool.

Material ready to spin:

Completed brush:

I also did one using olive/grey/red Laser Yarn and made a 2-minute streamer using simply that and a Fish Skull:

Last night I also made one that I like best so far using white/grey/pink Laser Yarn for sort of a shad coloration. Very cool blend. Soon I am going to experiment with some dubbing blends for my carp flies. I am making a brush that is about 12-13" long, so on smaller carp flies I can tie several patterns using a single brush, and a brush only takes maybe 10-12 minutes to make.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Looks like your Dad fixed you up. You've got some skills yourself, nice job!!

RGJZ06

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Administrator
5,398 Posts
That is awesome.

Sent from my DROIDX using OutHub

·
Registered
205 Posts
That's pretty cool! Glad you posted pics, cause I was having trouble figuring out how to use Ice Dub. I just asked on here yesterday, but it's better when you got a pic to look at, thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Played with some Polar Fiber in a streamer brush last night:

I think the crappies and bass will like the results:

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
Nice looking flies. I've not messed around with those. I'm not tying too much that requires that yet, so the little bit I do can be accomplished with the dubbing loop. What are you using for wire?

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far I am using the Fine diameter Ultra Wire. I'm going to try to get my hands on some of the small diameter spooled stainless steel wire at some point.

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did a chartreuse brush last night, then tied a few Firetiger Minnows:

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got my hands on some bigger fiber, this is a synthetic called Pseudo Hair. I made some brushes with it over the weekend. Overall length on these is about 3.5", tied on Mustad 3366 #2's. Here are the results:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts