Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
2,113 Posts
Wow over 500fps. At that speed I wonder if mechanicals will still operate properly.

Reactions: jethro

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
At a list price of over $3,000 it should scout, shoot, gut, drag, butcher and cook your venison. Honestly, I am surprised there are many willing to pay that kind of money for a crossbow. Maybe if they held their value like a good rifle. I would be curious to know how many they sell.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At a list price of over $3,000 it should scout, shoot, gut, drag, butcher and cook your venison. Honestly, I am surprised there are many willing to pay that kind of money for a crossbow. Maybe if they held their value like a good rifle. I would be curious to know how many they sell.
I was the third person to buy one this year. I asked.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I am not sure I understand your question.
Let me ask a different way. If you sight this one in at 25 yards, how much further will it shoot accurately with scope reticle centered/maintained on target bullseye?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me ask a different way. If you sight this one in at 25 yards, how much further will it shoot accurately with scope reticle centered/maintained on target bullseye?
Ah sorry now I understand. The scope is based at 30 yards and has ticks to 100 yards. Which is weird because I don't know if I feel comfortable taking a shot that far.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
WOW that's about $6 a second . I guess if you shoot enough deer with it you could get your meat price down to about $50 a pound if you don't have to drive to far to hunt . LOL I wouldn't pay that much for a deer hunting weapon . But if your happy with it that's really all that matters . That is fast . I

·
5,174 Posts
Seems expensive today, but tomorrow Ravin or Ten Point will have one a little more expensive. Waaay back in the mid 90's Hoyt's flagship bow was the Super Slam Supreme. I paid close to $500 for it and everyone thought that was crazy. Top of the line bows are now exceeding 1500- 2000 plus accessories!

Reactions: R. Toker

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Seems expensive today, but tomorrow Ravin or Ten Point will have one a little more expensive. Waaay back in the mid 90's Hoyt's flagship bow was the Super Slam Supreme. I paid close to $500 for it and everyone thought that was crazy. Top of the line bows are now exceeding 1500- 2000 plus accessories!
Ravin already has one that exceeds the $4000. mark

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
I’ve hunted with the Tenpoint viper since 2020. The acuslide system is the cats meow. This off-season I added a Garmin xero rangefinding scope to it. TenPoint leads the way in crossbows and are made here in Ohio. Don’t feel bad, Mathew’s charges $$$$$ for the “smoothest best shooting” vertical bow each year most of that $ goes to hunting show sponsorships. Congrats on a great crossbow!

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
I shoot 19” custom black eagle arrows with 125gr heads to calm my crossbow down. 450 plus grain arrows at 365fps easier on the limbs too

·
Registered
450 Posts
Ah sorry now I understand. The scope is based at 30 yards and has ticks to 100 yards. Which is weird because I don't know if I feel comfortable taking a shot that far.
Thanks. I have spent a fair amount of time trying to use the scope tick marks to extend range a little bit for my older Horton crossbow. It was "iffy" to extend range to 35 yards doing that because the range to target needed to be very well known But if I had one that shot straight to 35 yards, now that would help and be worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
It’s mainly just called progress and innovation. American made innovation

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been shooting Parker Crossbows for about 15 years now so I have one for a backup too. My main bow shoots 350 fps, plenty fast enough IMHO. I have been kicking around the idea of an upgrade but just can't seem to get in the mood to spend 2k plus. Biggest problem is finding parts for my bows, I needed a set of strings and it was a PIA to find them. I think I spent $900 on the package for the bow I use a decade ago, I'm not shocked at prices anymore. I think if people knew what the R&D expense is on a crossbow that shoots in the 500 fps range they might understand a little bit more why prices are so high and that's just scratching the surface.

I'd suggest looking into it next spring if you're on the fence. Ten point has a closeout section on their site with certified pre owned bows at big discounts compared to retail. The downside is the warranty of three years I think. They did have the 505 listed back in the spring 2022. I'm hunting spots now that I can shoot out to 50 or even 60 yards now but can't bring myself to shooting that far with my bow when knowing the EXACT yardage becomes critical . I passed on a giant at 40 in a field two years ago and started thinking of a bow that I'd feel more comfortable at that distance. I think there are many advantages to going to these bows. More consistent accuracy being number one. Cutting the edge off the massive drop to where being off by +/- 3 or 4 yards isn't a huge problem compared to a slower crossbow. The difference in kinetic energy is almost a guaranteed passthrough, just look at the numbers. A crossbow developing 300 feet per second (fps) with a 420-grain arrow generates 87 foot-pounds of kinetic energy the Nitro 505 is listed at 227, if that doesn't raise an eyebrow nothing will.

So for me it comes down to the price, WOW and YIKES lol.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts