Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am new to the forum after reading for a few years. I hunt mainly in Crawford and Washington county. I have been researching quite a bit and want to get everyone's opinion on a lightweight, quiet, and comfortable climbing stand for Ohio and my upcoming Illinois opening week bowhunt. I am leaning towards the Ol'Man or Lone Wolf hand climber and will be used primarily for bowhunting.

I am 27 and in pretty good shape but still would like something in the <20lb. Most importantly I would like something as quiet as possibly while climbing. I like the gunrest/footrest option on the ol'man and their mesh seat. On the Lone Wolf's I like the wrap around band and relatively minimalist design, and the built in bowholder.

Anyway, just looking for some opinions and what you guys like/dislike in your climbers. Thanks for the input and look forward to getting to know everyone a bit more.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
To be honest I did the same and came across a company called treewalker and they have a better lighter design. They were at deer and turk show and their demo sold me . Check them out google treewalker stands I got the xlt model .

·
Banned
955 Posts
treewalker x2......have had mine for three years and love it and I am very leary of climbing stands. I sold my summit for the treewalker

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have owned the Tree Walker, Summit, Lone Wolf, and Old Man stands. I too would recommend the Tree Walker, followed closely by the Summit. The other two I wouldn't even think about. Both the LW, and the Old Man will slip on a tree, or twist to the point of being dangerous in my opinion. Both do fold flat for easy transport, but I'd rather have one that is a pain to pack but stable in the tree!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I am not a ol man fan.Tree walker,summit,lw all have there place.I sold my summit only because I felt I had a lack of suitable trees.Bought a Lone wolf pro series hang on and climbing sticks.You can pick up a viper sd for under 250 shipped..Which I doubt you will find a walker or Lw for new
..I sold my summt for.250loaded

Sent via Campbells soup can an string..

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had a Summit climber for about 10 years plus. I love it never had a problem with it and when I need a new one it will be a Summit.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I absolutely hate the open front hand climbers. Once ur in ur spot all is great. They make climbing closed front stands in the 12-15lb range. But expensive.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I absolutely hate the open front hand climbers. Once ur in ur spot all is great. They make climbing closed front stands in the 12-15lb range. But expensive.
I saw round tube,closed front aluminum su
mit model with a sling seat at the ATA show this year.I am thinking it was 16lb..That may be something to look into..

·
Registered
244 Posts
Forget the LW, and 'Old Man. Go with any Summit tree stand, not familiar with the Tree Walker, might be worth a look.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I am not a ol man fan.Tree walker,summit,lw all have there place.I sold my summit only because I felt I had a lack of suitable trees.Bought a Lone wolf pro series hang on and climbing sticks.You can pick up a viper sd for under 250 shipped..Which I doubt you will find a walker or Lw for new
..I sold my summt for.250loaded

i may be leaning toward this set up...maybe not by brand except the sticks...not sure cause i really dont need another stand,my garage is full of them... i guess for the op question...roll the dice...i personally wont buy a lone wolf for one reason...price...as for summit i have one and a whole lot of people swear buy them...i'd like to see the cable system changed...to somethang quieter and safer...i've had the cables come out of the latch hole twice while decending,because the lil trap door opened leaving the base dangling off my feet...but i continue to use it but keep my eyes on that latch... ol man looks ok,i dont know much bout em to say anythang...:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
i may be leaning toward this set up...maybe not by brand except the sticks...not sure cause i really dont need another stand,my garage is full of them... i guess for the op question...roll the dice...i personally wont buy a lone wolf for one reason...price...as for summit i have one and a whole lot of people swear buy them...i'd like to see the cable system changed...to somethang quieter and safer...i've had the cables come out of the latch hole twice while decending,because the lil trap door opened but i continue to use it but keep my eyes on that latch...leaving the base dangling off my feet... ol man looks ok,i dont know much bout em to say anythang...:biggrin:
Just gotta keep your eyes peeled
I found as a leftover from 2009 for 250$sticks and stand

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I may be a minority here, but if you have a need for lightweight compact stand you will absolutely hate a Summit. My buddy has a Viper SS and he walked the 3/4 mile to my stand with me and my LW. Needless to say he cussed and about gave up about 1/4 mile in.

As was said before, every stand has it's place. Figure out what you need, and what you want. Then Start your search there, I don't know anything about Ol' Man or Treewalker. I am familiar with Summit, API, and Lone Wolf. I bought a LW Alpha 2 years ago, I wanted one since they came out but could never afford one. I got a heck of a deal and couldn't pass it up.

I got the stand home and had all kinds of issues with it, adjustments were seemingly impossible, the seat wasn't deep enough, and I couldn't keep it tight on the tree. I was so pissed off I put the stand up for sale. In the process of trying to sell it I contacted Lone Wolf. I vented a little bit about what an overpriced piece of crap the stand was, told them my problems and what I thought they should change. Less than 5 minutes after sending the email I received a reply, asking what the date stamp was. I gave it to them and it turns out my stand had defective thumbscrews, the screws would back out causing an unsafe connection to the tree.

After a few email exchanges, the stand was sent back. I received a brand new extra wide sit and climb, which is the only LW climber I would recommend to anyone over 5'7"! I haven't looked back since, the stand has lived up to all my previous expectations. While I think they are a bit overpriced I wouldn't own any other stand. If you are looking at them I will tell you that they are kind of tricky to set-up, a different climbing cadence is used, and do not buy anything but the extra wide climber! Most of my hunts are 12 hours on stand, I loved my API Grand Slam, but once I got used to the LW I was blown away at the all day comfort. As far as open front climbers, once you get used to them they are the cats ass! No bar in the way, total freedom of movement and shot positions impossible with other stands, whats not to like about that!?

Tree size is a bit limited but you can find one to climb. Ultra quiet set-up, climbing and take down. I have yet to figure out how to get my Hoyt into the bow holder! I've gone on long enough, if you have any questions on the stand PM me.

Good luck finding one and take the advice given and use it in finding the best stand for your style. They really do all have their place in bow hunting......

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I may be a minority here, but if you have a need for lightweight compact stand you will absolutely hate a Summit. My buddy has a Viper SS and he walked the 3/4 mile to my stand with me and my LW. Needless to say he cussed and about gave up about 1/4 mile in.

As was said before, every stand has it's place. Figure out what you need, and what you want. Then Start your search there, I don't know anything about Ol' Man or Treewalker. I am familiar with Summit, API, and Lone Wolf. I bought a LW Alpha 2 years ago, I wanted one since they came out but could never afford one. I got a heck of a deal and couldn't pass it up.

I got the stand home and had all kinds of issues with it, adjustments were seemingly impossible, the seat wasn't deep enough, and I couldn't keep it tight on the tree. I was so pissed off I put the stand up for sale. In the process of trying to sell it I contacted Lone Wolf. I vented a little bit about what an overpriced piece of crap the stand was, told them my problems and what I thought they should change. Less than 5 minutes after sending the email I received a reply, asking what the date stamp was. I gave it to them and it turns out my stand had defective thumbscrews, the screws would back out causing an unsafe connection to the tree.

After a few email exchanges, the stand was sent back. I received a brand new extra wide sit and climb, which is the only LW climber I would recommend to anyone over 5'7"! I haven't looked back since, the stand has lived up to all my previous expectations. While I think they are a bit overpriced I wouldn't own any other stand. If you are looking at them I will tell you that they are kind of tricky to set-up, a different climbing cadence is used, and do not buy anything but the extra wide climber! Most of my hunts are 12 hours on stand, I loved my API Grand Slam, but once I got used to the LW I was blown away at the all day comfort. As far as open front climbers, once you get used to them they are the cats ass! No bar in the way, total freedom of movement and shot positions impossible with other stands, whats not to like about that!?

Tree size is a bit limited but you can find one to climb. Ultra quiet set-up, climbing and take down. I have yet to figure out how to get my Hoyt into the bow holder! I've gone on long enough, if you have any questions on the stand PM me.

Good luck finding one and take the advice given and use it in finding the best stand for your style. They really do all have their place in bow hunting......
is your lw a handclimber or sit and climb...:mischeif:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the treewalker suggestion everyone. I have been checking out their climbers today. They have a pretty big platform for how light they are! They seem pretty similar to the OL Man stands in regards to their mesh seat, cable design, and shooting rail.

Those that own the treewalkers, how is the climbing design- I see they don't have the rope or stirrups for your feet? Also, how easy and quiet is the climbing cable attachment?

Thanks for all of your input.

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
I hate Summit stands and will never own one. I think they are big, cumbersome, loud and awkward. To each his own. I like my LW. If I didn't have it, I would be looking at the Ol Man. Though, I have never heard of the Tree Walker brand. I may have to check them out.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I hate Summit stands and will never own one. I think they are big, cumbersome, loud and awkward. To each his own. I like my LW. If I didn't have it, I would be looking at the Ol Man. Though, I have never heard of the Tree Walker brand. I may have to check them out.
Loud is my biggest issue with those.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts