Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m the past a group of us traveled to the mountain county of Webster County WV to bear hunt. The ground we hunted got leased up so I haven’t been going there since 2015. Buddy of mine found some ground to hunt in Boone County WV near the Raleigh County line. The bear population is exploding there the last several years. Long story short I bought a new rifle to use there next fall and it will also work in Ohio with our current regs. Gonna site it in before bonus gun and go on doe patrol.

Ruger Gunsite Scout 450 BM
Burris Scout Scope 2-7x32
Warne QD 1” low rings.
Outerwear Wood Tints and shades Door Monochrome

· Registered
65 Posts
I’m the past a group of us traveled to the mountain county of Webster County WV to bear hunt. The ground we hunted got leased up so I haven’t been going there since 2015. Buddy of mine found some ground to hunt in Boone County WV near the Raleigh County line. The bear population is exploding there the last several years. Long story short I bought a new rifle to use there next fall and it will also work in Ohio with our current regs. Gonna site it in before bonus gun and go on doe patrol.

Warne QD 1” low rings. View attachment 56871
What part of Webster County did you hunt? I understand about the leasing. I been going to Webster County for 30+ years to bear hunt with my dogs. I never thought I would ever join a lease but joined two so I could continue to run dogs with my WV friends. Times sure have changed. I’m heading out tomorrow to get a few days in with the dogs.

· Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We used to hunt near Bergoo in Webster. Steep steep steep country down there. Whoa

· Registered
2,633 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle & good luck with it.

I had 3 camps in Webster County right on Birch River between Cowan & Birch River at the base of Thomas Mountain. We deer & turkey hunted but never bear tho we saw quite a few. A friend, Dee Kinslow, killed a 600+ pounder which was the state record at the time. He is mentioned in the Book River on the Rocks by Skip Johnson. That area is the toughest I have ever hunted.

· Registered
2,633 Posts
My recollection was wrong on the weight of Dee's bear. It was 454 pounds field dressed which would have put it close to 600 live weight. I've heard that the memory is the 2nd thing to go but I forget what the 1st is.

Font Paper Paper product Publication Document

· Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eyesight? ;):unsure:

Reactions: ohiohornhunter

· Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
50 yards. I was having a hard time keeping the circle pasties on the target as I was making adjustments. Every time I’d shoot they fall off :ROFLMAO:. But the last 3 were all touching and the last shot is the one in the center orange. I then found an orange clay someone left behind and put it on the backstop at 117 yards ranged And broke it with one shot so I’m ready.

· Registered
657 Posts

Warne QD 1” low rings. View attachment 56871

1 - 19 of 19 Posts