Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I whacked a big ol goldfish this past spring, just over three pounds. I dropped him off at the taxidermist. Have any of you ever done a goldy before? Seems like it is taking him forever, he has had it since March. He told me it would be done in June, and I talked to him last night, he said about another thirty days. He said the humidity is killing his ability to paint. He also said he had some serious repair to do, replacing scales and whatnot. Understandable, I shot it straight through the top of the head at about fifteen feet. Thing is, I dont know what scales he is talking about, Goldys dont have scales on the top of their heads, its smooth skin.? I can't wait to see it! Could you post a pic of one you have done if you have any? I need something to look at until mine is done!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thats a cool fish. We saw a black one up at Erie this past weekend that I missed :irked: Only saw two and both were TINY. We all 3 missed an orange one that completely beached himself for a few seconds while we frantically reeled our arrows in. I'll get one someday!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats a cool fish. We saw a black one up at Erie this past weekend that I missed :irked: Only saw two and both were TINY. We all 3 missed an orange one that completely beached himself for a few seconds while we frantically reeled our arrows in. I'll get one someday!
It's coming Austin. Erie is your best bet, but sometimes we see them in the Ohio and some random lakes. In a lake, if you are targeting Goldies, I'd say target areas like docks and marinas. Theres one out at CJ near the marina, I have seen him a couple times this year.

I got a piece of driftwood for this one that will enable me to put a couple more on, I'd love to get one more gold on there and a brown phase. I think they would look neat together.

·
Registered
247 Posts
We were gonna stop at East Harbor Saturday to chase some around the lillies have gotten way too thick. Saw one at CJ by the beach.

Cant wait to see this mount man it's gonna look good. The color on the goldie is awesome. Hopefully his painting does it justice

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still waiting on him to finish it.....

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts