Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Just wanting to know if any of you have had the pleasure of dealing with folks who don't do what they say they're going to do and who don't take responsibility for themselves or their pets.
A neighbors dog came up the hill this past tuesday and killed 7 chickens. This isn't the first time. I believe he's been up here before killin my birds, but the only time I actually saw him. To make a long story short, I go down to his house right afterwards and tell him his dog killed some of my birds and he said he was sorry and asked how many and the price of them. I told him I didn't know exactly how many or the prices and I'd get back with him. I stopped back down Friday after work and told him it was 7 chickens and I want 12 dollars a piece for them. He agrees and tells me to come back tomorrow and he'll pay (I recorded the conversation). I go back down after work on Saturday and his daughter basically tells me that they're not going to pay for **** (I thought I was on jerry springer) and she needed video of her dog killing my chickens and that I was lying along with my 7 y/o daughter and even if her dog did kill them she can get chicks for way less than 12 bucks a piece. I tried to explain to her that I know chicks are cheap, but the birds that were killed were not chicks (they're about to start laying any day). She wasn't hearing it and just kept running her mouth about proof etc. I told her she almost got proof, but I opted not to kill her dog. Needless to say, by this time my blood was boiling and I knew I best get out of there before I did what I really wanted to do. So, I leave and call the police and explain to them exactly what happened. They tell me there's not much that they can do besides file a report with animal control (they may or may not cite him) and if he chooses not to pay I need to take him to court. Im going to make it a point to talk to animal control and explain everything also.
So, basically I'm wondering if any of you have dealt with this kind of situation and if you know of any tricks to get this guy to pay for the birds I know his dog killed.
Also, am I being unreasonable asking for 12 bucks a piece for birds I've fed for months and paid 3/4 bucks a piece as chicks? When I calculate all of the cost (feed, not to mention gas picking them up from ky, georgetown ohio, hamilton oh, oxford ohio) I had in these birds, it's well over 12 bucks a piece.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
89 Posts
That's a lucky dog if you ask me......he got to go home with a full belly. Wouldn't be that way in my neck of the woods. I think your a pretty darn nice neighbor considering......good luck on getting it straightened out!

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
If you recorded him accepting responsibility, that's all you would need in small claims court.

·
22,520 Posts
Don't talk to the daughter-talk to him-

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Employ the SSS program - SHOOT - SHOVEL & SHUTUP - dang :whistle::mischeif:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Well one things for sure, you know who wears the pants in that family.

The best solution is Dead Dog.

You could have your local attorney send them a letter and see if that works. (75-150 buckaroos)

and

The court thing will be an unbelievable pain in the @$%.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
A friend in KY. told me a story very similar. His nieghbors dog (.5 miles away)was coming up getting in the garbage and sh+ting in his yard. He went down and told the owner of the dog what his dog was doing. He told him 3 times. He finaly had enough and as the dog got in his trash for the last time, he shot it killed it. He then took it to the owners house and ring the door bell and said heres your dog and walked away... Never heard a thing about it.

In your case (which I an a dog lover) kill it. I would check and make sure you are within your right's... Then drag it to the daughter and let her know that things could of been different.

Or just take her to court. Paint ball guns work airsoft guns hurt. Leg trap's work.
I am not a poison kind of guy.. To many other things can get in to that stuff.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I let the dog warden know how far I wanna take this. I'm waiting to hear back from her. Reckon I'll see what happens and take it from there.
OAC states I'm within my rights to protect livestock and poultry and there's zero recourse for them if their dog is dispatched. I'd hate to do it and hope it doesn't come to that, but time will tell. If the warden doesn't come thru for me I will take it to court. I know it'll be a pain, but it's gotta be made right. I just don't understand people who are such pos and don't do the right thing. My dog(s) over the years have cost me over a thousand dollars making things right. One attacked a dog and the other fell in a swimming pool destroying the people's liner. I paid for both in full with zero questions asked because it was the right thing to do.
Once I hear from the dog warden I'll write the guy a letter explaining his options. Replacing the chickens will cost him more than just paying the 84 dollars in gas/money/time.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Some people make it damn hard to be a nice guy! :irked:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I would smoke that dog and bury it. No matter if he pays or court that dog will be back. A bullet is the only way to stop it.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Your on the right track. You got something on record. You have the recording and you contacted the warden. Now you dispatch it and let them bury it.

:mischeif:Case closed!:mischeif:

Damn :chicken: Killer.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Tough call.

Its gonna cost you to go to court. Might get your money back, might not. You has a good leg to stand on though.

Shootin the mutt will stop the issue with the birds, but I wonder how the owner would react. You gotta live beside them, not us.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Tough call.

Its gonna cost you to go to court. Might get your money back, might not. You has a good leg to stand on though.

Shootin the mutt will stop the issue with the birds, but I wonder how the owner would react. You gotta live beside them, not us.

Yep. Most consider their dog 'family'. Might think things thru before you act.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Some people consider there chickens family, Others concider them food. So maybe they should of considered there actions befor they let there dog out. They have to live next to him.. LOL I'm just saying..

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't see their house. It's down the hill and thru the woods. I've never met them until the other day.
Most of the birds are strictly for eggs, but my kids have pet chickens too. Only one of the egg layers were killed, all the rest were my kids pets. My kids haven't quit talking about hearing dogs in the woods now. My son (3) is carrying a stick everywhere he goes outside to hit the dog when he comes back. I wouldn't call it traumatized, but it has definitely had a negative affect. If he or any other critters come back, well.....

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
A year ago My neighbors dogs.where geting in my trash every other nite
I told the 4 times and after picking up my yard and diving trash out of the cans to bag back up for two months I finally let one have.it. I didn't have any problem for a month or so and there other dog started coming back so I told them again and they disregarded it and it ended up attacking my other neighbors dog and the warden got.that one. Ya I like dogs too but I keep them in my yard one way or another!!!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
ive killed one dog in my life and it was because it killed 3 of my dogs so didnt blink an eye at it but chickens are different id tell them one more time and be stern about it if catch your dog killing my chickens agian it will be shot. seem to work well most people get the hint, and if not shoot at it 1st thats also workd dogs arent stupid it may get the hint i think killin it would be last resort theres a few other things to do b4 taking that action

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Trust me, they got the point. He was just at the coop clawing to get in. By the time I got out there, he took off. I walked the property with my spotlight, only saw two fawns bedded. Reckon I'll go sit a spell.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts