Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to pick up my first camera. I could use some advice on brand and what to look for. Going to be placing it on a feeder, minerals lick, or trail. Looking to spend 2 to 250. I have bass pro and dicks real close to shop at.

· Registered
661 Posts
I have owned three cuddebacks all junk. 2 moultries all junk. And two promos. All junk Two stealth cams. Junk. I would have someone make u a hombrew. Or. Reconyx cam. But I have heard good things with bushnel cameras. Best advice is listed above. Go to chasing game website. Read reviews. Just stay away from china back cameras.

· Registered
467 Posts
Every camera is going to have its problems. I have had tascos and cuddebacks and have NEVER had a single problem. You do not need to buy a really expensive one like a reconyx or even a cuddeback to just sit over a feed site.

· Registered
5,834 Posts
i have had bad luck with tasco and bushnell's I have a stealth cam going on year#4 but I have had other stealth cams last 5 min's... Buy it from somewhere close so you can keep taking them back till you find one that works well.. That is what I did. I also have a truth cam that has done OK....

· Registered
307 Posts
If it were me, I`d go with a homebrew camera. They have better pictures and are more reliable. Having said that, there are some decent commercial cams. You didn`t say if you want an IR or whiteflash camera. The IR commercial cameras will have motion blur on the night pics. and some motion blur during the day. Homebrew cameras won`t have any.

Here`s a link to a Covert CA 3.0 camera. It`s small, runs on 4, aa, batteries. Even though it only uses 4 batteries, it has great battery life. Plus, what your willing to spend, you could get 2!!! You might find it cheaper with some searching.

Amazon.com: Covert CA3.0 Game Camera: Sports & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@5154BmC62KL

As stated earlier, chasingame.com is a great source of information. They review a bunch of cameras. They`re starting the 2012 reviews. Also, check out the forums. There`s a bunch of info on them as well as pictures from real users.

· Registered
326 Posts
My 2 cents.

If I had 250 bucks to spend I would buy 1 bushnell and 1 moultrie m-80 or 3 M-80's. I have both and the Bushnell has the best warranty and moultrie m-80 is great camera for the price. Walmart had them clearanced fo 99 bucks. To me I would rather have several cameras in different spots than one expensive one in one spot and it get stolen. My opinion......

· Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I bought a case of wildgame ir8d's and they have been amazing I put them out in august and they are still going on the same set of batteries

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

· Registered
307 Posts
I should have stated I was looking i.r. I live in a area I don't want flashes attracting attention. I used a bushnell last year and did notice some blurring. I didn't know it was a i.r. thing.
It`s because the array doesn`t flash like a standard camera. They glow for a split second and the shutter speed is slow. That`s why homebrew cameras don`t blur. We use regular cameras and convert them to IR by changing the glass to see ultraviolet light. Then by putting IR material over the flash it becomes an IR camera. Then what you get is a quick blip instead of a glow. Plus, they have options for shutter speed.

Moultrie came out with an M-80XT and XD cams that has what they call motion freeze. It helps with the motion blur. You can read about it here and see some pictures:
http://www.chasingame.com/index.php?id=249

Link for M-80XD for $135. http://yohemounts.com/m-80xd.html

The cameras are getting better every year. Soon motion blur won`t exist.

· Registered
265 Posts
either place allows you to return them without a problem, buy one and try it. Take it back if it doesn't work out. I did just that and ended up building points that amounted to about 25 bucks and I never bought a cam from them. Since I did it that way I started a savings account of sorts which I used to buy a Reconxy 500 hyperfire. Beats all the other ones I tried by leaps and bounds.

Looked at some picks the other day of a button buck, I thought the camera was going goofy, 3 pics that looked like the camera was stuck, it wasn't. That buck stood stock still as the cam took 3 pics in 3 seconds, then he moved around. Took about 100 pics of him as he went on for about 3 minutes. That cam misses nothing.

Buy'm and try'm, you'll learn a lot and know what you are and aren't missing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.