Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im down in southern ohio hunting around Wayne and zaleski national forests. where in these parks are the turkeys. ive hunted zaleski alot and have only had one bird gobble. any tips would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Killed a few birds in past years at Zaleski around the Prattsville side near the horsemans camp.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
23 Posts
I been hunting it for two weeks and found some gobbles but private land has cut me short three times

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Idk but the neighbor at my grannies frame says the hens are on there nest he's been watching them! And the gobblers still ain't talkin or its just to thick in the hills to hear them

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
How good is your hearing? For the past several days, I have been hearing a single gobble and the bird shuts up and moves quite a distance, like 500 yards. Obviously the weather, wind etc, changes a lot and you may be hearing a single gobble and not realizing what your hearing.

It may also be timing. right now, you should be in the woods between 515 to 530am.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've been out probably 10 times so far and only heard the traditional gobbling roosting tom, one of those mornings. Most mornings, I've heard nothing except hens on the move. If I'm lucky, I'll hear a single gobble at some point while I'm out. Just enough to give you a vague idea where he is, if you're paying attention. The hens I've seen are still milling about and the gobblers are around too, but silent as ghosts this season for some reason. It's tough out there.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My experience has been similar to silentbutdeadly's. Seems to be plenty of birds, not not many talking, and not any coming to the call... here's hoping things improve before the end of season!

·
Banned
955 Posts
Those vinton county birds are a breed of their own. They don't talk much.....I hunt in Vinton, Adams, Highland and Warren and by far the quietest birds are the vinton birds. They just don't talk much. Keep in mind vinton was one of the first counties in ohio to have birds and to be hunted.

Call me crazy, but I think over the years hunters have literally shot the gobble out of the birds. Meaning, the birds that gobble get shot and ones that don't breed hens and then their off spring have the same traits. That's my theory.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Birds in Hocking Co have been gobbling off the roost then flying down across the other side of the ridge with there hens and then shutting up. Last Friday I had one gobbling at 11 o clock on the other hill side then it never came in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts