Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on heading to the upper penninsula this fall for the first time with my father(and our dogs of course). The problem is I don't have a destination or really know where to start. Is there anyone out there who can help point me in the right direction. And don't say "North" please.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
Yooper

How far into the UP do you want to drive? I usually hunted further west over towards Iron Mountain but that adds a couple more hours to an already long drive. All of the UP is pretty much a wilderness type experience so it's as much of drive time as anything. One thing I can share up front is that they had a pretty large fire this year near the Seney National Wildlife Refuge and around the Two Hearted River. I think there was somewhere in the neighbrhood of 25k acres burnt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lance,

I was hoping at first to not go to far west. That Ottowa Forest seems pretty far but now I'm thinking I'd just like to have the best experience possible. What's a couple more hours if my odds are increased? And it looks like maybe Seney may have to wait a few years.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
I don't know that I'd go so far to say that your odds are higher further west but I think it's a little less pressured than right across "the bridge". You will definitely see other hunters just not in droves like you can run into in the lower peninsula.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Mark, I thought I saw someone one here with a "UPer" in their title...try to look him/her up. Also, my best buddy is the assistant hockey coach at Michigan Tech...way the heck up in Houghton. I will be up there in 3 weeks for a visit and can ask him if he has dialed anything in (he used to go on our annual trip to S. Dakota, but hockey called). I will let you know if I track any info down for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks lacure, any info helps.

I see what you're saying Lance. Would be nicer without the pressure. Any particular place you like to stay in Iron Mountain.

On a side note, I have a place on Drummund Island to stay but I'm not sure if there's birds there. Any toughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Michigan and go to the UP bird hunting every year. If you want the better hunting you need to go west around the Escanaba area. You will want to find scrub pines and cover lots of ground. The best time to go is mid to late October, the leaves should be down by then and makes things a lot easier.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Mark,

Done several trips to the UP. Love it (even though I'm a Buckeye)! It is gorgeous, and a far different experience than you will find in OH. Unclear as to what you are looking for (deer or grouse). So, PM me and we can chat.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
As far as timing it depends if you only care about grouse or if you like woodcock too. For me I tend to like it better in early October, shooting is a little tougher but there are more woodcock around and I'm looking for as many bird contacts for the dogs as possible. I generally hunt over towards Marquette.

Sending you a PM for where I stay. They're small and can be difficult to get into due to their location.(busy place in good location for deer and birds) Good people and dog friendly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Lance, you've been a ton of help!

BNYE,
Grouse and woodcock are the target. I spend most of my time on woodcock here in NE Ohio in the early season. Grouse has been mostly a dream for me here and I'm looking forward to the experience. I have a 5yr old pointer who's a very good woodcock dog but has yet to be put on the elusive grouse. Can't wait!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thanks Lance, you've been a ton of help!

BNYE,
Grouse and woodcock are the target. I spend most of my time on woodcock here in NE Ohio in the early season. Grouse has been mostly a dream for me here and I'm looking forward to the experience. I have a 5yr old pointer who's a very good woodcock dog but has yet to be put on the elusive grouse. Can't wait!
Mark,

We stay about 10 miles south of Grand Marais. Been told the better grouse hunting on the East side is found East of 75, but I see a lot of grouse when out deer hunting. Not sure if it was impacted by fire, but probably far enough North that it is OK. Let me know if you want info.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
I'd love to get up there this year but I don't have enough VAC left to pull that long of a trip off this year. I'm going to have to settle for hunting the lower a couple of long weekends this year.

Enjoy and post results!

·
Registered
355 Posts
i would suggest checking out http://www.northwnd.com/ this place sells maps. there a little pricy, but nothing is more frustrating than driving around huge forests in MI for hours to find good cuts.trust me these maps will save you countless trips down 2 tracks thinking theres gotta be a cut just round the corner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i would suggest checking out http://www.northwnd.com/ this place sells maps. there a little pricy, but nothing is more frustrating than driving around huge forests in MI for hours to find good cuts.trust me these maps will save you countless trips down 2 tracks thinking theres gotta be a cut just round the corner.
This is great info. Thank a lot!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts