Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I attended some all breed hunters Trials at some clubs in NE Ohio. Seems there is a circit of clubs haveing trials but NO one ever has a schedule.
I realize season probably over but for next year any and all information would be helpful.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scott could you please elaborate

Scott what do you mean? Could you please elaborate a little more.
Im more interested in giving my pup the work than competing.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
HEY ED...FOUND A REAL NICE SHED AT CLELUNNS AND another with 3pts to a side which will be nice next yr. too...the big one had six pts to the side with a 12" rear tine and a 6" brow tine...come shed huntin this weekend???

·
Registered
905 Posts
it seems the same guys win every week and its all about who ya know. look in to the akc hunting tests there run diffrent then trials

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
I should have....

Aimrite,

As far as the Cleveland area trials go they run 10 minutes and have 2 birds stocked at a time. They work together not to bump schedules with their close proximity. If you place in a trial they then have a winners trial at the end of the year. The plain dealer posts there trials weekly.

I should have posted our clubs trial here(Berlin Bird Dog Club). :rolleyes: we just had our spring trial on the 2nd. We run independently of the Cleveland area clubs. (We run at Berlin wildlife area)We try to run 1 or 2 hunters trials per year, the fall trial is run in the fields and the spring trial is run in the woods like grouse hunting. All run over quail and each dog gets 20 minutes or 4 dead birds and there are at least 16 birds in the field. They are very popular and draw dogs from Medina to Western PA. If you'd like PM me and I'll get you on our mailing list. If your interested in the club I can get you info on that also. We meet in between Akron and Canton and lease an area for training near Hartville.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
trials

Check the Cleveland Plain Dealer on-line. I think they post weekely schedules there, they should be wrapping up for the season soon though.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scott I understanding what you meant now

Today I was out and about, I heard two guys bitching about championship at South Cuyahoga, One guy was complaining how his dog had great run but judge didn't score him well because his dog was yipping and barking. That is major NONO in AKC field trials. It sounds like they had a AKC field trial judge judging a hunters trial.
One also talked about funny things that go on over the years.

I just hope to get some work in for the AKC events.Hunters trials sound like a soap opera.

Thanks for warning scott.
Aim

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
Not so sure

Not trying to stick up for a trial but that doesn't seem out of line to me. A classy dog is a classy dog and a dog that yapping while on birds should probably get passed by if another dog ran a comparble run but was classy doing it.

If you look at it from a non-akc perspective and just look at it in a hunters trial mentaility and say "would I want to hunt over that dog"? A dog that barks on it's birds would be a serious flaw if you hunt wild birds. To place a dog like that in any trial much less a season championship would be pretty tuff to do barring doing anything but it walking on water. That's the flip side of hunters trials vs AKC and NSTRA. Many hunters that train dogs don't see past their own dogs abilities and flaws and have no objectivity.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts