Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I am going to try there new ones. The farrow of the head is smaller. The originals were pretty fat.. Look them up ot NAP's site.. I like the concept of them. If they fly well then that is what I am going to use this year.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The blood runners are absolutly junk. I mean junk. We had a NAP rep come in the shop last year and a buddy and I was already having words about which one of us was shooting a better broadhead. I was shooting the slick tricks and he was shooting rage. The NaP REP came in on the day we were shooting a 3/4 inch plywood and a gallon jug test. Make a long story short. slick trick stuck through bout 4 in, Rage bout a 1 inch, and the NAP rep shot the 2 blade blood runner from about 10 feet and almost got his eyes put out. Arrow came flying back almost hit him and the broadhead literaly shattered. Never even stuck in the wood. It was a shop arrow, the reps excuse was that the arrow didnt have enough spine, so he went to the truck and got on of his. Same exact thing arrow almost hit him in the head and pieces went everywhere nothing in the wood. Unless they have changed, there made from like a harden plastic, or some kind of cast. Ive never seen something made so cheap. You can do what ya do but i wouldnt shoot em if they were give to me.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Good to know. I am going to do a broadhead test.. Just so I can see it for my own eye's... Have a few friends go in on it place some bet's and see which one holds up... Thank's for the in-put rhino... I was going to use them last year but didn't..

·
Registered
179 Posts
Anyone seen the new rages. I didnt like the for the simple fact that the didnt have a chizel point. Have a couple friends that use them. It looks like the have finally come to their senses and put a chizel point on them. Gunna have to give em a try

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I dislike them, because of the O-ring. I found that I was alway's checking to see if a blade was not set. I don't want something else to worry about. I shot a doe last year it died fast but still. If I was stalking or my broadhead hit a leaf or branch in stand I found my self wondering if it came lose... I didn't like that...

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I either stand hunt or hunt from a blind. Have been using rage 2 blades since they went on the market and have yet to have the first problem with them. The blades have never failed to open or opened in flight. The first mistake I have seen guys make is shoving them into a foam filled quiver. Causes nicks in the o rings, then the blades wont stay shut. I have read a lot of complaints but they have performed flawlessly for me. I have harvested about ten deer with them, 4 last season. Furthest I have had a deer go is 80 yards. I have never one break apart. Bent blades a couple times but thats it. How guys say the head didnt open at all is hard for me to believe. Just put it in the right spot and any broadhead will do its job. People make crappy shots then blame the equipment they are using.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I used rage 2 blade last year and took one shot with them but hit a grapevine so i don't know there effect on deer yet but I kilt the vine and my blades!!!! I liked the tekan 2 blade almost same concept as rage I killed many with them the past 2 seasons. I'll be geting another pack of rage for this season soon and will be shooting my couple times a week from here on out gota get me a new blind this year also

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Let's not make this a Rage thread like every other broadhead thread....LOL

Some like them some don't.

I like the concept of the Bloodrunners but if they don't hold up then I won't us them.. I like the fact that they are going to cut the same as a fixed blade if they don't deploy out.

Another brade head my friend likes is the Redhead 2 blade like the rage with out the O-ring. he has killed a lot of deer with them.

I was told that short farrowed broadheads are the most true flyer's do to the chance of off centered shaft or head.... What do you guys think about that?

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Any well made head should line itself up when screwed into the arrow insert. Furrels are machined and threaded in the same operation and concentricity issues shouldnd be a problem. The closer the diameter in front of the threads matches the inside diameter of the insert, the better head/arrow alignment you will have.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I used the Bloodrunners last season and harvested a buck and a doe. They seemed to do a pretty good job for me. Plus they came in a combo pack with QuikFletch vanes which I wanted to try and also liked.

·
Registered
958 Posts
i dont use them myself,but a young man that i take hunting with me uses them and if you ask him there is not a better broadhead LOL ,he killed a 200+ last oct. in adams co. and he was only 16yrs old at the time

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've used the 3 blade blood runners without any problems whatsoever. I like the design in that even if it doesn't expand you still have a big enough of a broadhead to be lethal.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Every broadhead out there will kill a deer, especially with good shot placement. Anyone whos been bow hunting a while knows the arrow doesnt always go excatly where you want it to all the time. My buddy owns a bow shop and I normally test all the new broadhead for durability, and penatration. We normally shoot 3/4 plywood. Everyone will cut. I like to know if I shoot through the shoulder on mistake that the broadhead will not only hold up but will go through the bone and stay in tact. Obviously a fixed broadhead is the way to go, but your limited on the cut diameter. Slick tricks are probably the the best broadhead imo that holds up on a sholder shot and penatrates deep. I dont shoot the rages but have tested them and was surprized at how good they do for a expandable. The Nap bloodrunner imo have nothing to offer, and the concept is horrible. Its cheap and so un well made it isnt funny. the tip works like a truck shock. Common sense will tell you that a spring on the tip of the broadhead will dampening the kenetic energy, just like a shock absorbs bumps on the road. Ive never had something come apart shooting at plywood as the bloodrunner did. IMO theres too many good broadheads out there to choose from. Nap is junk. My 2 cents

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Well after all the post from Rhino I grabbed a 3/4 ply wood out of the garage and my bow along with 2 arrows. One with a 3 blade muzzy and the other a 2 blade bloodrunner. I shot the bloodrunner though the board at 20 yd's. It went clean though and into a bag target. (which was not smart) I then shot a muzzy 3 blade and it went clean though and into the straw. (I move the board) Each shot was with the board straight up and down not leaning in any way.

The Bloodrunner did not fall apart but the ends of the blades were broken and it was damaged to the point that you should throw it away. The Muzzy 3 blade could most likely be used again. No damage at all. They both had plenty of energy each were almost though the board to the fleching's.

IMO fixed will always out perform mechanical in a strenth test.
When I get some O-ring's for the rage I will test them along with some thunderheads.

Nap has a deep 6 bloodrunner. It has a thinner farrow and they seem to be a little more tougher than the one I shot which was the original..

As for the plunger style Broadhead. With reports about many of the mechanicals not opening, These will cut as much as most fixed heads IMO off sets The Min. loss of K-energy. I see it working as well as any other Broadhead. Other than the weaker design..... Thenew deep 6 bloodrunners will get the test. If they past I will use them.

I did find the broken blades to be a little weak as was the broadhead. So if I was to pic one, it would not be that one.

The one that I shot was one that they sent me for free after I called them about the old shcool Razzorback's. The NAP Co. is a very friendly and really seams to care about your input and the thoughts of their customers. I like the NAP Co. but I do call it how I see it.... I think I am going to call them and see if I can get one of the deep 6 Bloodrunners and test it..

IMO I am still in search of a good broadhead with a Mechanical cutting width but not quite a mechanical.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well after all the post from Rhino I grabbed a 3/4 ply wood out of the garage and my bow along with 2 arrows. One with a 3 blade muzzy and the other a 2 blade bloodrunner. I shot the bloodrunner though the board at 20 yd's. It went clean though and into a bag target. (which was not smart) I then shot a muzzy 3 blade and it went clean though and into the straw. (I move the board) Each shot was with the board straight up and down not leaning in any way.

The Bloodrunner did not fall apart but the ends of the blades were broken and it was damaged to the point that you should throw it away. The Muzzy 3 blade could most likely be used again. No damage at all. They both had plenty of energy each were almost though the board to the fleching's.

IMO fixed will always out perform mechanical in a strenth test.
When I get some O-ring's for the rage I will test them along with some thunderheads.

Nap has a deep 6 bloodrunner. It has a thinner farrow and they seem to be a little more tougher than the one I shot which was the original..

As for the plunger style Broadhead. With reports about many of the mechanicals not opening, These will cut as much as most fixed heads IMO off sets The Min. loss of K-energy. I see it working as well as any other Broadhead. Other than the weaker design..... Thenew deep 6 bloodrunners will get the test. If they past I will use them.

I did find the broken blades to be a little weak as was the broadhead. So if I was to pic one, it would not be that one.

The one that I shot was one that they sent me for free after I called them about the old shcool Razzorback's. The NAP Co. is a very friendly and really seams to care about your input and the thoughts of their customers. I like the NAP Co. but I do call it how I see it.... I think I am going to call them and see if I can get one of the deep 6 Bloodrunners and test it..

IMO I am still in search of a good broadhead with a Mechanical cutting width but not quite a mechanical.
Did you shoot ply wood or Osb board, also known as waffer board. If you shot the real plywood thats the same as i did. I dont see the results being that different. I personally dont care what anyone shoot, but can say unless they have changed since last year the nap bloodrunners are junk. My opionion

·
Registered
179 Posts
Man just saw the pic wildman. Thats not plywood, that waffer board, or osb. VERYYYYY BIG DIFFERENCE. Go get you a piece of real plywood and shoot it and get back to me. Make sure your not standing to close. lol

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Yea, that is all i had laying around was the waffer board. either way the results were similar to yours. The new ones seem to be fully metal. I may get some of them and test them.

I am not a big fan of anything that has to open from the front but I like the cutting size of them..

I will say that the muzzy's went though un-scaved...

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Yeah theres a world of difference between osb and plywood.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts