Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
My plots are doing well. I didn't want the typical TV 1ft tall plot I wanted something with cover and food. I also wanted something for the to bed in..

Here it is. The rye looks thick but it's not..

Excuse the ugly guy... The Peas are growing up the rye.

This is the peas and clover mixed together

Patches if clover 2 ft tall.

Yellow clover 2Ft tall that and the honey suckle on a point for bedding

Tuesday at 12:00 I walked down to my plots There was a small buck in velvet feeding I was in the 4 to 5 ft tall rye that is in seed. I sat for a while and another older buck came in he was a nice 3.5yr old. after sitting for 25 min they were 15yd's. I raised up and all of sudden Whew whew There was a moose of a buck 10yds to the right he was Big and old really big. Gone was all 3..

Plot's work!! and I have 3 buck in the area with one that is very big.

·
Banned
955 Posts
You can't beat the winter rye, oats, peas, and clover mix. I just mowed a 3/4 acre plot of the mix yesterday and the clover/chicory is thick as can be. I made sure to walk through the field to make sure no fawns were bedding in it and in some spots the clover was over knee tall! We used the bush hog and mowed it back to 6-8" tall. Cutting is optional as the rye will fall over on its own.

Remember, if you are wanting a perennial white clover patch plant white clover with the rye/oat/peas (I prefer alice with a little chicory mixed in). If you're wanting to replant the plot every year just plan mammoth red clover.

I'll be planting a couple more strips of the above mix this August in some spots where the clover is starting to thin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts