Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove down to SE Ohio on a Friday night in April to stay at a friend’s cabin. My friend has a friend that has a family cabin in the middle of the state forest. Literally slap dab in the middle of thousands of acres of state forest. The perfect hunting spot. The state has been trying to buy it from his family for a couple generations with no success. The acre or two lot sits at the very top of a hilltop that has steep ridges and hills all around. We had to park on state land and walk a small 4x4 trail back to the cabin. Woke up an hour before daylight to get to our spot on the back side of the hill, only a 3-minute walk from the cabin. We should have used a flashlight. We didn’t realize until after the hunt how dangerous it is to take that walk in the dark because of the possibility of falling off one of the 15-30ft cliffs. We found a huge, downed oak to sit in front of and within 5 minutes, we heard turkeys gobbling without us calling first! Once we heard the gobbles, we decided to get the slate call out and sound off some clucks, and sure enough, the gobbles responded right away. My friend was calling, neither of us had turkey hunted before and we couldn’t believe we were on them already. We called back about every 5 minutes or so and sure enough we would hear gobbles in response each time, but continuously getting closer each time. It was so cool to call to the turkey and hear it gobble closer after each call. I had my break open 12ga that my grandpa had given me almost ten years prior and had it resting on my knee, just waiting for that turkey to come over the ridge – we were about halfway down the ridge and could hear him on the other side. After about 15 or 20 minutes of calling back and forth with the gobbler, we hear the unmistakable sound of another hunter owl hooting in the distance - had to be within a couple hundred yards. This shut the tom up quick, and we didn’t hear him the rest of the day. After sitting about another hour at that spot without hearing anything we decided to go down the ridge into the valley and set up by the creek. This time we decided to use decoys. My friend sat down next to a brush pile while I set up the jake and hen decoys together probably 40 yards away. After sitting down for a little of an hour again without hearing any responses, we decided to walk out of the valley along the feeder creek to the point where it meets a larger creek in the valley perpendicular. We set up the decoys and sat for another hour or two and again, nothing. At this point it was coming up on 2pm and the woods was dead, not a sound to be heard from ANY animal. By now we were getting hungry and were thinking of going to get lunch, but wanted to scout a couple spots first. So, we decided to walk along the main creek that to look for any sign. We walked maybe a mile to where the creek met a swamp next to a county road and decided to turn back – no sign anywhere. The only thing we came across was a “no trespassing private property” sign, which we found out from our friend that has the cabin that the sign was fake and trying to deter people from someone’s spot – game warden was called. We took the sign down and headed back to the cabin. As we get back to the area where the big creek meets the feeder creek, we hear what sounds like a helicopter taking off. But to our surprise, it wasn’t a helicopter but a group of 4 turkeys taking off to fly away from us, across the wide creek and into the big woods, disappearing into the treetops. No way we can get to them now. That really discouraged us, and we continued back to the cabin and met our other friend on the way - he didn't hear or see anything that morning. After regrouping at the cabin, we decided we were too tired to keep hunting and decided to drive back home. What a great first hunt, it was really exciting to hear some gobbles on my first time out!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts