Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple years a neighbor has been leasing out his land to a farmer to plant crops. He has ended up getting about 10-15 damage permits a year for those fields. I have since noticed a dramatic decrease in deer numbers.

I actually e-mailed the game warden asking that less permits be issued and all the other neighbors around me asked to have their names attached to it.
He replied that if there is crop damage, permits must be given.

I talked to the landowner tonight(he does let me hunt on his place) He said they are in the process of applying for more permits. (he doesn't know I e-mailed the game warden)

I usually try to get 2-3 deer for the freezer each year, and found it pretty difficult this last fall. Neither the landowner or the farmer hunt or use the meat themselves. The farmer gave it away to people he knew. I mentioned to the landowner that I would take a couple deer if they did get permits. He said he could possibly list me as a shooter if I wanted.

That's my dilemma. I personally feel very opposed to the damage permit program. BUT, if the deer are going to be killed anyways, I feel it may be better to at least be a part of it and get the freezer full now, which hopefully will allow 1 or 2 extra deer to survive this fall. I also know 2 or 3 needy families that would love the extra meat.

What would you do?

·
Registered
679 Posts
The last couple years a neighbor has been leasing out his land to a farmer to plant crops. He has ended up getting about 10-15 damage permits a year for those fields. I have since noticed a dramatic decrease in deer numbers.

I actually e-mailed the game warden asking that less permits be issued and all the other neighbors around me asked to have their names attached to it.
He replied that if there is crop damage, permits must be given.

I talked to the landowner tonight(he does let me hunt on his place) He said they are in the process of applying for more permits. (he doesn't know I e-mailed the game warden)

I usually try to get 2-3 deer for the freezer each year, and found it pretty difficult this last fall. Neither the landowner or the farmer hunt or use the meat themselves. The farmer gave it away to people he knew. I mentioned to the landowner that I would take a couple deer if they did get permits. He said he could possibly list me as a shooter if I wanted.

That's my dilemma. I personally feel very opposed to the damage permit program. BUT, if the deer are going to be killed anyways, I feel it may be better to at least be a part of it and get the freezer full now, which hopefully will allow 1 or 2 extra deer to survive this fall. I also know 2 or 3 needy families that would love the extra meat.

What would you do?
That's a tough one Sir. Can't say I have a good answer.
How do you think it would go with the landowner and farmer if you talked to them about your point of view, but offered them a proposal that worked for both of you? For example, what if you and the neighbors committed to him that "x" number of does be taken by each hunter, before shooting a buck. You might even be able to have some fun with it...maybe each hunter could throw $20 in (or whatever). If a hunter doesn't get that "x" number that money goes to the farmer/landowner. It obviously won't compensate the farmer for his crop loss, but at least it shows you are trying to work with him. And be upfront about where some of the deer will be going (those that truly need it). I think most/all will relate to that. Just a thought. Good luck.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
How do you think it would go with the landowner and farmer if you talked to them about your point of view, but offered them a proposal that worked for both of you? For example, what if you and the neighbors committed to him that "x" number of does be taken by each hunter, before shooting a buck. You might even be able to have some fun with it...maybe each hunter could throw $20 in (or whatever). If a hunter doesn't get that "x" number that money goes to the farmer/landowner. It obviously won't compensate the farmer for his crop loss, but at least it shows you are trying to work with him. And be upfront about where some of the deer will be going (those that truly need it). I think most/all will relate to that. Just a thought. Good luck.

Good idea!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I don't know if they would go for that or not. Most of the crop damage is done pre hunting season.

I do try and stop and scare the deer out of the fields anytime I drive by and see them in there. I'm sure they probably come back in right after I leave though.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
First of all, I would be hoping that the farmerdoesn't find out either from the gw or one of the neighbors, that you were trying to put a stop to his damage permits.might make him mad enough to not let you hunt period. If you are opposed to the damage permits, which it sounds like you are, how can you think about being a shooter? Stick to you beliefs and dont straddle the fence. JMO.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
I know I personally would not be participating in the elimination of the deer in my hunting area. Also if you use the crop damage permits you are going to look like a hypocrite to the rest of your neighbors if they find out. They may also throw you under the bus out of spite and tell the farmer/neighbor you were lobbying against him with the game warden.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
'Oh Boy ...thus is a real winner ...backstabbing the farmer then considering joining the team ...is that what I just read...:nono:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
First of all, I would be hoping that the farmerdoesn't find out either from the gw or one of the neighbors, that you were trying to put a stop to his damage permits.might make him mad enough to not let you hunt period. If you are opposed to the damage permits, which it sounds like you are, how can you think about being a shooter? Stick to you beliefs and dont straddle the fence. JMO.
That is my dilemma. The fact is, the damage permits are going to be issued. There is nothing I can do to change that. I am just looking at what I can do to "save" as many deer as I can overall. I may end up talking to the other neighbors that were also opposed to the damage permits, and see if they may be interested in meat now. I know many of them hunt for meat, and didn't even get 1 deer last year. Any deer they get now, may be 1 less killed in the fall.

If the deer are going to be killed now, why not at least keep the meat local, instead of seeing it go to whomever the farmer decides? 5 or 10 deer may be killed now, but if my neighbors and my freezers are full, There will be 5 or 10 less does that will need to be killed this fall for meat. If I don't get involved, those 5 or 10 deer killed now will be gone, plus however many more are killed in the fall.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
'Oh Boy ...thus is a real winner ...backstabbing the farmer then considering joining the team ...is that what I just read...:nono:
Do you have a better suggestion? I don't feel I backstabbed the farmer, I just relayed to the game warden the poor condition of the herd in my area. Supposedly that doesn't matter though, so I am just looking at any other option to minimize the herd damage for now.

I could stick to my beliefs and see the herd continue to get worse, or at least try and make the most out of a crappy situation.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Do you have a better suggestion? I don't feel I backstabbed the farmer, I just relayed to the game warden the poor condition of the herd in my area. Supposedly that doesn't matter though, so I am just looking at any other option to minimize the herd damage for now.

I could stick to my beliefs and see the herd continue to get worse, or at least try and make the most out of a crappy situation.
Get your meat at Krogers and that will help the herd grow - dang :whistle::mischeif: btw anyone taken' - 2 - 3 deer isn't worried too much bout the herd numbers -

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Like i said, if you are opposed to them killing the deer with damage control permits, is it gonna make it ok if you join them? If you are against them doing it then dont be a part of it. Period. It's a bad situation, but stick to your beliefs. That's a big part of what's wrong with our society today.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
That is my dilemma. The fact is, the damage permits are going to be issued. There is nothing I can do to change that. I am just looking at what I can do to "save" as many deer as I can overall. I may end up talking to the other neighbors that were also opposed to the damage permits, and see if they may be interested in meat now. I know many of them hunt for meat, and didn't even get 1 deer last year. Any deer they get now, may be 1 less killed in the fall.

If the deer are going to be killed now, why not at least keep the meat local, instead of seeing it go to whomever the farmer decides? 5 or 10 deer may be killed now, but if my neighbors and my freezers are full, There will be 5 or 10 less does that will need to be killed this fall for meat. If I don't get involved, those 5 or 10 deer killed now will be gone, plus however many more are killed in the fall.
I would think that you still wouldn't want to join the darkside just for the sake of filling your freezer...if you're neighbors caught wind of this they might not be so friendly anymore...then you would be lumped into the same category as the other landowner...although you could possibly join the slaughter and help reduce any bucks getting killed...

At any rate, you have already started going down a path with your neighbors, to change horse's in the middle of the stream for the sake of deer would almost certainly improve your chances of getting black listed by your neighbors....but with your new buddy (the guy who gets the permits) it might not even matter....people find a way to justify everything to fit their needs or wants mostly...and they almost always lose sight of what they really believe in...just my view of what you have posted. not telling you what to do.

good luck! It will definitely be interesting to see what the outcome of this is....by the way it's already august, so when does the shooting begin?

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I don't see how you think "saving the herd" is coming into play here. What's the difference if those 2 or 3 deer are killed now with the damage permits or killed during hunting season? They are still being removed.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I don't see how you think "saving the herd" is coming into play here. What's the difference if those 2 or 3 deer are killed now with the damage permits or killed during hunting season? They are still being removed.
Wants them in his freezer - thats what this is about - dang :whistle::mischeif:

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Wants them in his freezer - thats what this is about - dang :whistle::mischeif:[/QU That's where I see this going. Started out as seeing the deer going to the needy, then went to me and my neighbors filling our freezers. You ever that song: you got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything? STICK TO YOUR BELIEFS.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wants them in his freezer - thats what this is about - dang :whistle::mischeif:[/QU That's where I see this going. Started out as seeing the deer going to the needy, then went to me and my neighbors filling our freezers. You ever that song: you got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything? STICK TO YOUR BELIEFS.
As it has been, the deer are not going to the needy, but the farmers buddies who don't even live around here. The farmer has his own land also. Several of my neighbors do rely on the meat though, and yes, I do prefer venison over store bought beef. I do also know some needy families that I would try and get a deer.

I think my neighbors may be more open to the idea of damage permits if they were able to get the meat from them.

I haven't agreed to anything yet with the farmer or landowner. The main reason I posted on here was to get other possible solutions to this problem, not to get labeled as a hypocrite. If someone knows a way to prevent permits from being issued, I would love to hear it, because that would be ideal.

I would definitely talk to my other neighbors first before I ever agreed to utilize permits. If they were opposed to it still, I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
It still looks like you're all for them if your neighbors ok it.?.
Like I said, most everybody has a price, looks like you've found yours.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts