Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
good luck , I will be in Texas hunting hogs and there a 5 female Aoudad on the ranch that the owner wants shot . They got loose from a high fence place down the road last year .
But he said they don't see them very often . his ranch is 1200 acres .
I sure hope you get to fill that tag . It's a good feeling taking your first deer off your own land .

·
Registered
325 Posts
Good luck. I've seen the herds back together that time of year. Quite a sight to see.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I'm hunting my place.....been very little to zero daylight movement around here since gun season. I think they are holed up like rabbits until dark. However, the good news is I do have several deer moving through under cover of darkness so I just need one to slide out a little early and I may get an opportunity. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
660 Posts
January is my favorite time to bowhunt...if I have a buck tag. I already have several old, mature bucks back on the farm. Need it cold. I'll be out with my Obsession....may drag the TC Omega out?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right now, for my part of the state, they're calling for cold and snow to come in next Thursday and stay through the weekend. I'm hoping it holds but it'll will probably be 35F and rain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First time Ohio muzzleloader here. Hunting licking County 45 acres... Any suggestions? Stick with food or bedding? Property had acorns in late October and there is a bean field across the street. Any tips would be great!!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Unless you have someone push them I would expect them to sit tight Saturday morning with the expected very cold temps. I am going with food close to bedding in the early afternoon. Good luck and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unless you have someone push them I would expect them to sit tight Saturday morning with the expected very cold temps. I am going with food close to bedding in the early afternoon. Good luck and welcome to the site.
My experience is quit different. I find they move throughout the day in search for food. I would recommend sitting on a travel route.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
I'll be out tomorrow!!! Shot my muzzleloader last weekend. We had about 3 inches of fresh snow today. Tomorrow morning temps will be in the low teens with wind chills in the single digits so my plan is a leisurely morning (no alarm clock). Then a good breakfast. Then hopefully head out around 8am for a slow walkabout. Will probably sit a little and walk a little. Then back home for lunch to warm up for an afternoon/evening sit by one of our fields.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Son shot a button buck for the freezer....lots a ducks in there, but little fresh deer......were back in the blind for the afternoon....btw, deer didn't move till about 10am here this morning
Congrat's to your son! The best liver ever !!!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I sat until 11 and then pulled trail camera cards. While heading back to the cam I bumped the only three I saw. Trail cams were empty except a shed buck back in 12/22. Neighbor said his cams were dead too.

·
Registered
325 Posts
This morning I saw 4 other groups of deer before I shot this doe. Seems they are grouped up right now. It was so cold the blood froze while I was field dressing her. Back out tonight with my daughter, hoping she can get her first with a muzzleloader.
It's time for them to group. He'll take 'em to food every afternoon/evening. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
I had my husband drop me off at the far north side of the farm at 9am. With a south wind, I spent 3 hours doing a slow stop and start traverse of the woods. Very few tracks until I got closer to the fields. I jumped one deer. Got back to the house around 12:30pm for lunch.

Then this afternoon I did a sit near one field until sunset when I got up to get a better look into the field. 10 deer came into the far opposite end of the field right around sunset. I also saw 4 in a different field, again on the opposite side of me. And I jumped 2 in the woods in the dark on the walk out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts