close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Muzzleloader season help

Discussion in 'Ohio Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by DanoRollTideRoll, Sep 4, 2012.

1. What is muzzleloader season like in Ohio? How are the deer sightings? I would assume by this time they are seeking food? Do many of the bucks still have antlers? This year its Jan 5-7 is that a good time to go? My plans may have to be altered from the rut to this date. :(

2. It's usually bitter cold and if you can locate a good food source you will find the deer. And I'd say 95% of the bucks still have antlers.

3. I think you need to check your dates...that's only 3 days...should be 4

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. My bad 5-8th. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

5. I love late season muzzy. I'll be out there. You should be too. ;)

6. Well last year there was no snow they where spread out. But under normal January conditions there grouped up feeding

7. Great time to hunt as for as I'm concerned, I always save a doe take for this season. Weather is pretty unpredictable that time of year. I've seen all sorts of different conditions for late season muzzy, from mild and temps in the 50's to below 0 a foot of snow with 2 inches of ice over top of it(very tricky to hunt in). So its not an ideal time to plan a trip to ohio but if its all you've got than I would definantly go for it. Focus on food, bedding areas and travel routes between the two. A little snow on the ground helps to locate these areas. Also be prepared to hunt off your neighbors, by this I mean alot of guys do deer drives this time of year as well. If you cant get in on them try to set up and cherry pick the deer that sneak away from them. Best of luck to you.

8. The first week in January is going to be different in various parts of Ohio. You could have 3 feet of snow in the northeast snow belt with temps as low as 20 below.
    Cincinnati might be coated with freezing rain.
    Or it might be no snow and 45 degrees.
    last January muzzleloader, no snow, just above freezing in the middle of Ohio..

9. Thanks guys I will be hunting SE Ohio. Near Logan. I plan to hunt food sources. Hopefully it will work out.

10. I should be hunting south of you during the late ML.

Good luck to you and stay warm.

RGJZ06