Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched from traditional black powder to triple seven powder years ago. No issues... Then last year I purchased some triple seven pellets. Twice now I have had an issue with improper ignition for lack of a better word. The primer goes off and rather than a bang I get a woosh type sound. Bullet is no longer in the barrel but not even on paper at say 40 yards. What could be the cause?

·
22,909 Posts
How's it going Mike? Started Raining, so I came in for a bit. I used it for a few years and now use BH 209 for quite a few years now. Is it possible yours may have got damp? That typically will make that do that. I have heard-not confirmed- Triple 7 has a shelf life as well but you indicated that yours was about a year or so old so that most likely is not the issue..

There is also a possibility you got a bad "batch". Not sure how many you shot before this and if they performed or maybe a few are bad. I also know Triple 7 likes 209 primers as well. Not sure what you are using. Also make sure there is no obstruction or buildup or oil in the flash hole area. May want to try the powder in another gun.

Good Luck-

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How's it going Mike? Started Raining, so I came in for a bit. I used it for a few years and now use BH 209 for quite a few years now. Is it possible yours may have got damp? That typically will make that do that. I have heard-not confirmed- Triple 7 has a shelf life as well but you indicated that yours was about a year or so old so that most likely is not the issue..

There is also a possibility you got a bad "batch". Not sure how many you shot before this and if they performed or maybe a few are bad. I also know Triple 7 likes 209 primers as well. Not sure what you are using. Also make sure there is no obstruction or buildup or oil in the flash hole area. May want to try the powder in another gun.

Good Luck-
Doing good John. I am using the 209 primers. I will try them in my sons gun one day soon. My favorite Ohio deer hunts were the early season muzzy hunts each Oct. I have missed them since they discontinued them. I learned P.A. has a doe only muzzy hunt the third week of Oct. Got my liscence and doe tag. I am excited to be in the wood in October with the muzzy once more.

Reactions: Deehntr56
1 - 3 of 3 Posts