Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I went out to my neighbor's last weekend to check some woods where I had found hen of the woods last year. I found two small ones growing, no bigger than the palm of my hand so I decided to let them go and come back this weekend.

First one had blossomed into this. Misshapen from growing from the base of the large white oak right near where a small tree/sapling had started growing. This is the exact same tree where I found 4 or 5 separate hens last year growing from around base of the large oak.

Flower Mushroom Polyporales Jelly fungus Terrestrial plant

Onward I walked to the second tree that I where I found one last weekend. I could see it from a distance. I've never found a hen that was so classically formed. Just like you seem them in the guide books.
Plant Polyporales Mushroom Natural environment Hen-of-the-wood

And here it is in my hand for better size comparison.
Plant Mushroom Polyporales Hen-of-the-wood Terrestrial plant

I took a loop through the woods looking for more and I did find one more small one which I left.

THEN I found some bonus oyster mushrooms that were fresh. My favorite!
Plant Leaf Botany Natural environment Wood

Two good sized hen of the woods and a handful of oyster mushrooms. A good couple hours in the woods.

Polyporales Natural material Mushroom Ingredient Hen-of-the-wood

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I just got back from Michigan . Some mushroom hunters traded me my chanterelles for what they called shrimp mushrooms. They were very tasty. They said the shrimp mushrooms grow at the base of trees. I didn't find any.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts