Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,501 Posts
In 2 days, April 11th & 13th, I have found 37 morels in Vinton county. All of them where black

Reactions: bluedog

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Took a little walk today, mostly to see if I could find some Dryad's Saddle. Ended up finding one small one that I brought home and one larger tougher one that I left. BUT I found a few nice flushes of oyster mushrooms! Very excited about that because oysters are one of my favorites. 😋😊

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
I went turkey hunting this morning. It rained the entire time. Only one good thing happened and that was that I took a walk around noon and found some oyster mushrooms in half-way decent condition. There were several others in not so good condition but with how dry it has been, I was shocked that I found any.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I went turkey hunting this morning. It rained the entire time. Only one good thing happened and that was that I took a walk around noon and found some oyster mushrooms in half-way decent condition. There were several others in not so good condition but with how dry it has been, I was shocked that I found any.

View attachment 54566
I am gonna look hard after these cool rains. Looks great!

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Found a beautiful flush of oyster mushrooms yesterday. There were 4 clusters on this one tree. The others were a bit older but this one was beautiful. It came home with me.

I also found some crown tipped coral. This is my first time finding this mushroom. They are edible but they looked a bit old to me (turning brown) and I had already found the oyster mushrooms so I was happy with that.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I have a woods loaded with crown tip coral. It loves Beach and this woods has never been logged in 200 years and has giant beach dead and living. Some times you could fill a garbage bag. It is very good on the plate.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
One of my mushroom trees where I harvested oyster mushrooms last month, bloomed again. This one was bigger and better. I came across this fresh bloom on Saturday when I was out changing trail cam cards. Best part is it is right on a trail so I could drive the UTV right up to the tree. This is very important with my broken ankle. I really thought my summer mushroom hunting was done for this year. I picked a few larger ones on Saturday but this bloom was just starting so mr bluedog and I drove back out this afternoon. They had grown a lot. I harvested all the ones I could reach from the ground. Over 3 pounds worth. There were nearly as many way above our heads. This is the best and freshest flush of oyster mushrooms I have ever found. I'm going to experiment with a couple different methods of freezing.

This is the lower 1/2 of the tree on Saturday.

Today's 3 plus pound harvest.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Save that tree !!! Those look great!

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
It's puffball season. I found this one while riding the mower yesterday. Unfortunately when I cut it open, it had started to yellow so it was past the good eating stage. But if you are a fan of puffballs, be on the lookout. 🥰🍄

·
Registered
199 Posts
Puffballs show up at our place about this time of year. Some in the barn yard and some way back in the steep ravines. They are a mild flavor and go with just about anything. And you can get several meals out of one like that !!!

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
The ringless honey mushrooms came up in the yard this past week. The season is very short. I've been want to eat some for quite awhile but I've always been a bit hesitant because of the poisonous lookalike the Jack o' lantern mushroom. But I sought out confirmation from many sources online (that is all I have) and feel more confident now. This mushroom can also cause digestive upset in some people so that also made me hesitant. But I kept reading how wonderful this mushroom tastes. Last year I cooked and ate one cap with the plan to eat more but the mushrooms came and went too quickly and I forgot to pick some more before they dried up outside.

Onward to this year. I picked a couple pounds of mushroom caps out in the front yard. I decided to use about 3/4 lbs to make cream of mushroom soup. Yesterday I ate one spoonful of soup. No ill effects. Today I ate about 3/4 cup of soup. So far so good. If all is well tomorrow I will be so happy. I will have 2 full lunch bowls of soup to take to work this week. This soup tastes AWESOME!! I'm so happy to have another mushroom to enjoy. I have the rest of the mushrooms I picked in the dehydrator right now.

This is the soup recipe I used but scaled it back and adjusted some ingredients to my taste. And I blenderized about 1/2 of the soup to smooth it out some:

Ringless honey mushrooms in my front yard

3/4 lb chopped and ready to go in the stock pot

3 lunch bowls of soup (one of which I ate a portion of today)

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I located two beautiful fresh chickens on a sycamore tree, but they are on private property (spotted from the road). I drove by slowly 2X yesterday hoping to see the owner out in the yard, garage or porch sitting. LOL I don't know her, but it an older lady and her neighbor up the road told me she is very friendly and if I stop and talk to her she will let me get them. Time is not on my side I have a busy work week, but I will update. What I can tell you is they were not there a week ago and boom there they are! Keep your eyes open.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts