Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught a guy mushroom hunting on my farm yesterday. He was parked roadside a mere 50 yards from a freshly POSTED- NO HUNTING sign and passed 2 others when coming down the lane. He said he has hunted my farm (I bought it last July) for the last 10 years. I was not nice to him, I asked if he ever thought about asking yearly to make sure the property hadn't changed possession and told him their was no excuse. He acted like he didn't know and was real apologetic.I asked him if he found all the mushrooms in his sack on my property, he said yes and he had 3/4 of a bread sack full. I was mad, couldn't even think straight mad. I just told him to leave but as he was getting is his car I wondered If I had the right to take "my" stolen mushrooms. I honestly wouldn't have felt right taking them, but I also don't think It was right to let him off with no punishment. Hell I guess I should have called the sheriff but since he wasn't a total ass I didn't. Would it have been fair to ask for my mushrooms back? Would you have a problem taking them?

·
Administrator
5,414 Posts
I guess you need a No Gathering sign as well? ;)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
A GW told me if it is on YOUR property, it is YOURS. Doesnt matter WHO put it there, or WHO claims it is theirs. The law says it is YOURS.

You are a pretty nice guy for letting him keep YOUR shrooms.

I would have thanked him for picking MY mushrooms and dont come back for more. I will pick the rest myself.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I think maybe a little, I don't like trespassers anymore than u but maybe the guy didn't know if you catch him again then I would have some issues.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
5,137 Posts
Got to agree with Buckster. He's been warned, shame on him next time.

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
I think you made your point to him. Question to ask yourself, would the mushrooms make me feel better ?

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
yeah I'm with buckster as well. I'd chalk it up as a warning and get nasty if you run across him again.

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
In my opinion, once he was made aware of his mistake, he should have offered up his bounty in making peace with you.
I'm with you. He should have made the offer.

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
In my opinion, he got his one and only warning. Catch him back there for any reason, and call the law immediately.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I would have first got his full name, address, plate number, vehicle description. Then taken his picture with my cell phone. He knows there are mushrooms are there, he might not return but he may send his friends after them. or spite you in some other way.

Dont be surprised to catch him hunting there.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'd have to agree with buckster also...I use to hunt a 600 acre farm for years... Went there in bow season one year not knowing it had been sold and ran into the new owner.... He told me he had just bought it and diden't want anyone there and followed me back out to the gate.... Thats all it took i haven't been back since...Kinda sucks i loved hunting there but what can ya do it's not worth going to jail for tresspassing...

·
Registered
265 Posts
There is nothing new under the sun.

Ever wonder what your actions are setting in motion and if your action are helping to return to a time when a few controlled the lives of everyone in the land?

What if a few ended up owning everything and you the surf, what then would you think about picking the kings plant? Wouldn't it be better when you had the power to keep those terrible times from returning that laws were passed protecting you from imprisonment for poaching that plant?

Before fuming ask what kind of government am I helping to empower. After you've done all you can to understand historically the impact of your actions, and you choose the best path, you've done all you can to protect freedom. No one can ask more of you.

I am a land owner.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think you did the right thing! If that guy loves mushroom hunting as much as me and that was his honeyhole.. Not being legally allowed to return is punishment enough, That guys gna think about all those shrooms he's missing every year for a LONG time!!

J BaKe 330

·
Banned
955 Posts
It seems like die hard mushroom hunters do not think "posted property" applies to them because "they are only mushroom hunting." I'm interested to pull the cams on my property and see if I see anyone sneeking around.

I would have taken the mushrooms

·
Registered
134 Posts
Amazing how many people just figure the sign didn't mean them!

See moron below

·
Registered
134 Posts
You can see the mo trespass sign behind him on right..not counting the 5 or so he passed to get to the camera

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think you did the right thing! If that guy loves mushroom hunting as much as me and that was his honeyhole.. Not being legally allowed to return is punishment enough, That guys gna think about all those shrooms he's missing every year for a LONG time!!

J BaKe 330
I might like seeing the guy every year after he promised to give me a fair portion. Nice to come home and find some for dinner and the guy could easily be talked into watching over the place. If he has any smarts at all he's know that if anything went wrong he'd be the laws first stop and probably make sure things were good.

Running him off is a right (for now) but just makes one more person an enemy. Most country folks know you can catch more bee's with honey than vinegar.

Just got to add things up and see what's worth what. Some people I don't mid as enemy's as they have no desire to be a friend.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You can see the mo trespass sign behind him on right..not counting the 5 or so he passed to get to the camera

What a bone head, he'd be no friend from this point of view. What's he doing with the shovel? looks like someone you'd find in jackson county, the meth capitol of the state.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts