Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I will be moving to Iowa in the next few weeks and its bittersweet. Finding a new farm to hunt and learning all over again. I still plan on coming back to Ohio for a week or two to hunt and visit family. I guess I will get to see what all the Iowa hype is all about. I can say I have looked at a couple farms for lease and wow....I have been nothing but impressed. Do any of you guys have any experience in Iowa or out west and if so what advice do you have?

·
22,528 Posts
Good luck on the move and look for a spot to use my 3 preference points when you get there!!:D

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Well, I will be moving to Iowa in the next few weeks and its bittersweet. Finding a new farm to hunt and learning all over again. I still plan on coming back to Ohio for a week or two to hunt and visit family. I guess I will get to see what all the Iowa hype is all about. I can say I have looked at a couple farms for lease and wow....I have been nothing but impressed. Do any of you guys have any experience in Iowa or out west and if so what advice do you have?
It's the corn and bean field state. My Inlaws own a large farm on the western side of the state around Red Oak. It's about 90 miles from Omaha. It's kind of rolling over there, mostly farm country. The deer hang out in the wooded stands between the various fields on their farm. I've found most of the farmers will let you bow hunt as the deer tear up the crops. Gun hunting is another story if they have live stock.

Most of the people over there are pretty nice. Just ask around and talk to the locals, shouldn't have a problem hunting over there.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
102 Posts
Become a member on iowasportsman.com and start asking around. You will find that most Iowans are very nice. I think its just in there blood. I just returned from there about two weeks ago. I looked at several farms in southern Iowa and seen tons of deer and several really nice bucks. I was in awe and didn't want to leave. Southern Iowa has some incredible habitat for whitetails, lots of food,water and cover and no shortage of deer. Once you start hunting there you may not want to come back. I know I am hooked now. Good Luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, lived there 9 yrs, great outdoor state. Fishing in N.W. iis great, summer & winter, phesant hunting fabulous, and plenty of big deer.
You'll love it.

·
Administrator
5,399 Posts
Sorry to see you go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
iowa

I used to travel there up to 4 times a year to hunt. Only 6 hours from Oh. Throw away your bow & get a couple of pointing dogs! Phez, huns, quail. All are down right now, but the Iwegan natural resource folks are way more proactive than Ohio. What part are you moving to?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im moving to Ida county, probably worst county to deer hunt. I have looked at a couple leases in Appanoose county. If anyone would be interested in going in on a lease that they could hunt in future years let me know I have found a couple and Im going to lease regardless so we could work something out. It will def be a learning experience, still planning on coming back to Ohio for at least a week of hunting!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts