close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mosquito creek wildlife area

Discussion in 'Ohio Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by rshultz3205, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Anyone hunt mosquito creek? I won a hunt there and just trying to get some background on how it’s set up and some pointers on the best zones to pick if there’s a choice? Thanks in advance

2. There is 3 sections. A B and C.They have you assigned to a zone and parking spot when you get there. You can change sections at noon if you would like to. A is very thick especially if you go in from the ranger station parking lot however it was earlier in season when I was in there. B is very nice set of woods with some swamps and dikes. The deer run the dikes a lot. Or at least when the water is open. I'd assume they're still using them when frozen. C is the biggest section. There's some swamps in there also but not as much as B. C has a lot of fields. Some planted. Others good bedding areas. There's some good woods in C also. I have been lucky to have been drawn there about 4 or 5 times from youth to adult hunts. Also been in there with both my brothers when they were youth hunters. Muzzleloader late season was probably one of my favorites hunts in there. I hunted B for muzzleloader and seen a lot of deer. Don't assume you need to go miles back in to shoot deer either.

Bryan six likes this.

3. Thanks for the info. Do you guys think it’s worth it to take a pop up blind with me?

4. If a blind is put up same day, It will likely only alarm the deer. If you have a stool to sit on, take it. Use the map for funnels or edge. If snow, you will find runs. Have Patience & the impatient will move deer. Good luck!

Buck Buster likes this.
  5. Schu72

Schu72 Staff Member Mod

Take climber.

Bryan six likes this.

6. We hunted the woods north of Mallard pond a few years ago and saw plenty of deer closer to the swampy areas. We had my son set up in a climber while I made small pushes for him. We also hunted the area all the way to the south of the of the headquarters several years ago and saw only one deer. We hunted on the ground then. I believe both hunts were youth hunts earlier in the season. Good luck!

7. I know there was a hunt there yesterday. I wonder how many of the 50 pairs of hunters that got drawn showed up? Dang that would not have been a good day to be out with a muzzleloader. :p

Deehntr56 likes this.
  8. Does anyone know how many two person groups will be there on even given hunt?