Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking my son to mosquito creek for a youth gun hunt this weekend . I was wondering if anyone had any advice or could share any past experiences. thanks alot.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have never done a youth hunt there but have gotten in for the muzzy hunt. Very flat and very wet. I recommend rubber boots. High deer population last I was there. Heavy trails. I would find an intersection of trails and sit most of the day. Some areas are along the creek or have deep drainage ditches. These water features/ areas will funnel the deer past you. There are some great bucks in there. Good luck to your son!. Be sure and report back.

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
If the youth hunts are like the adult hunts, you will be given a zone assignment on check in. There are 3: A, B and C. It's kind of hard to give advice if you don't know your zone. I did see plenty of deer last year.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Took my nephew there the year before last. You can't scout ahead of time and as said you get your assigned area in the morning and have to pick out a spot in the dark. Kinda dumb if you ask me...
Even though with this challenge, he scored a nice doe around 1pm.
We brought a portable blind and after getting our assignment found a nice looking spot using Google maps while sitting in the parking lot of our area. We setup in the dark and didn't see anything that morning. We got up around 10am and found a better spot to setup for our eve hunt. We relocated it and came back after taking a bathroom break.. An hour later a nice doe walked in front of our blind at 10 yds and he shot it.
Only a handful shot deer in the morning, and most left for the day around 10am instead of staying for the afternoon/eve.
The half of the participants that stayed took a lot of deer that eve...

You are almost better off getting your assignment go to breakfast and come back, scout, and then setup for afternoon/eve hunt..
Lots of deer there but you have to overcome the no scouting going in the dark and pick a spot nonsense...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing your experience tomcat. sounds like there are plenty of deer in there. hopefully he will get one if not I am sure we will have fun trying.

I agree it would be nice to have some more information before the hunt. I called the mosquito creek headquarters today to try to see if they could tell us what unit we were in. he couldn't tell he so I guess we will have to wait till Saturday morning.

I will definitely report back and let everyone what happens

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Also, if you don't like your assigned zone you can check back after lunch and see if any hunters signed out. If spots are available you can request to be moved. So, absolutely look over Google maps and be familiar with potential afternoon spots. Don't give up there are plenty of deer.

Reactions: tomcat

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have never done a youth hunt there but have gotten in for the muzzy hunt. Very flat and very wet. I recommend rubber boots. High deer population last I was there. Heavy trails. I would find an intersection of trails and sit most of the day. Some areas are along the creek or have deep drainage ditches. These water features/ areas will funnel the deer past you. There are some great bucks in there. Good luck to your son!. Be sure and report back.
Do you have any additional recommendations for Area B? I got a late invite and the hunt is tomorrow. :(

·
Registered
907 Posts
Do you have any additional recommendations for Area B? I got a late invite and the hunt is tomorrow. :(
Someone has got to keep them moving. I killed mine early a few years ago and just walked the rest of the time and kept bumping them from their beds. They know the game.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts