Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a bear in SE Ohio last year, another report and Video in Morgan and Perry Counties last week. I see the state DNR telling folks to avoid bears and don't shoot them. They don't tell them to shoot the Bears if you are being attacked. They never say that. Bears are like deer running out into the road, as big as the Bears are, they just show up and you have no time to avoid the bears. Then what?

I grew up and worked around Bears in W.Va. And you must be able to protect yourself from black bears, they will attack you, especially around cubs, and for some, no reason at all. And you can not out run them. We have had several Bear attacks in WV including a woman that was killed in Bluefield WV a few years ago by a black bear.

I just wanted to point out you do have a right to protect yourself from an aggressive bear. I think it's irresponsible for the state of Ohio for not clarifying that point. Arm yourselves, bear spray works SOMETIMES. A bullet works more. Plus, if that bear is attacking a human, it will need to be put down anyway, if it is attacking you, and you put it down, you are assured you got the right bear also. While any DNR search is guessing they killed the right bear.

Just something to think about.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
We had a deer hunter who shot a black bear a few years back here in Harrison County on a deer drive. The bear came running up a hill right at the hunter. He shot in self defense and was not charged with any crime. Scary situation.

Reactions: HillbillynOhio

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
We had a deer hunter who shot a black bear a few years back here in Harrison County on a deer drive. The bear came running up a hill right at the hunter. He shot in self defense and was not charged with any crime. Scary situation.
I remember that story well a friend in that area had possibly the same bear showing up and getting into his dog chow and animal feed
He worked for 30+ years at the Cleveland zoo and always thought it was neat to have one in the area

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big boy or girl. I'd say this one is a Sow.

Here's a great video to help determine the difference but even then, it's guess many times.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just me , but I don't really need anyone to tell me to shoot something that is trying to bite me .
You wouldn't think so, but people do think twice about whether if they could into trouble trying to defend themselves and at what point. That shouldn't be in question. But IMHO, the Media and the OHDNR not making that clear could get someone killed. Preparation is the key to staying alive and I think they are making it look like bears won't bother you if you don't bother them no matter what, and, that isn't true. 90% of the time they will run from humans, but that 10% could get you killed or, wish you were.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
You may have a point there Hillbilly . We do live in a day and age where they have to put a sign on a mower deck to tell people not to put there hand under it when it's running . You would think it's just common sense .

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
People love to tell stories of daring-do, wilderness tromping in Ohio and getting charged by various critters and then....needing to defend themselves.
Some stories will indeed be true, some will be for audience appeal and maintaining a rep and some stories, will simply be grounded in gun rights.

However, encounters with bears do increase as young bears get pushed out in the Spring and there is no doubt that bear numbers are increasing in many areas.
As people are also increasing....best to be aware.
Whether that preparation raises to the level of story time or creates an outlet to gig a DNR appears up to the individual.

My daughter and sil live in N NM and they have had bears, coyotes and bobcats in the yard...no painter yet but, they are seen in the area.
They both take the precautions of an armed adult but I doubt they are panting to blow smoke off the end of a pistol barrel.....or just waiting to build a story of "why I was just sitting there in the swing and a slavering-jawed bear come a swoopin' in....luckily, I capped him good or I would a been a goner."

I believe the woman in WV got between a bear and an exit post midnight...as did her poor dog.
Could granny have McGraw-ed the bear in it's tracks...maybe but maybe worse could have happened too.
Let's not assume much more than bad stuff happens to good people and understand that it's good to consider looking about one's area after dark....unless there is one of the aforementioned needs, of course.
Fwiw, supposedly the bear was not on a rampage of killing humans and was recently treed and killed.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice of you being about solving problems without being there. You are more than welcome to put your trust in dangerous wildlife. How about we give folks more truthful information so they can make that their own choice when living in bear country? It only takes one time to be wrong in your logic.

Bears And A Lion; Victims Should Have Had A Gun

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/08/be..._6f6fac3eaa-90a1ec69c8-21190333#axzz5xLEPUyBN

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Black bears are usually fearful of people, therefore bear attacks are a rare occurrence. Bears do not attack or kill children or pets as long as the bear is given its space and not cornered. (THIS IS NOT TRUE) The first thing to do when you see a bear is REMAIN CALM. Generally, black bears are non-aggressive and prefer to flee from the area as soon as they are aware of your presence. If you encounter a bear, and it is not aware of your presence, simply back away from the area slowly. If the bear is aware of your presence and it does not leave the area, avoid direct eye contact with the animal, give the bear an easy escape route and again, simply back slowly away from the area. Always avoid running or climbing trees, which may provoke a chase. An easy way to remember this is to be AWARE:

• Act calm and do not run.
  • Warn the bear that you are near; talk in a firm, calm voice.
  • Allow space between you and the bear. Step aside and back slowly away. Do not make the bear feel trapped or threatened.
  • Raise your hands above your head to appear larger if the bear approaches. Clap your hands or shout to scare the bear away.
  • Exit the area.
They don't even recommend bear spray. But I'd prefer a gun. Bears will run right through bear spray and have.
http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/species-and-habitats/nuisance-wildlife/black-bears-in-ohio

Reactions: ohiohornhunter

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I'll take my chances with the law after a charging bear is dead on the ground.

Reactions: Luke Oesterling

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Living in wv I see bears frequently. I have 6 different bears on my hunting property that I get constant pics of. I guess being around them all the time for decades makes me not worry about them. We had one walk across our driveway a couple months ago. I've never had an instance or anyone that I know that has ever had a scary run in with one and we live side by side with them. I run a beef cattle farm and never had an issue with calves either. I'm more worried about coyote packs than bears. Also I was one of the 7 documented sightings 2 years ago in ohio. I called the odow and sent them my photos and video. The bear has passed through our morgan county property the last 2 years middle of October.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have been around a few bears. They usually run for the hills if they see or smell a human. There is always that chance that you could startle one or run up on one with cubs though. I never go anywhere unarmed though. I saw a couple of bear tracks on my property in Lawrence County a few weeks ago. If I ever encounter a bear that attacks instead of runs, hopefully, I can put him down before he gets to me, and I would not report it to anyone. I'm not going to be fined or lose my hunting license or gun because some D.A. warden wants to tell me how I could have avoided the situation without killing the bear.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Encountering a bear in Ohio is very very low on my list of worries. There are many more dangerous things to worry about in the woods, if you must worry at all. Top of my list are other people...

·
Administrator
5,398 Posts
Top of my list are people too. I once went to put corn out late on a Friday night in Michigan when it was still legal. While walking out to that stand in pitch darkness, I got a text from my cell cam at the site of a bear. I'm sure it heard me coming and took off!

Reactions: BudBoomer

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I’ve ran into bears 2x while hunting in my life. Once in PA, once in WV. Both times it was a sow with cubs and both times I had my video camera.

It was definitely cool but both times the bears were more scared of us than we were them. Now obviously bear attacks happen and you have to be cognizant of the dangers but I think most of the attacks are provoked bears that are used to being around humans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Perry Co at Burr Oak Lake had bear tracks found around it last month. They’re getting more noticeable in Ohio for sure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts