close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mood breaker

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio fishing report' started by BuzzBait Brad, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Isn't it funny how catching fish turns around an annoying day you just had? Today was one of those days for me. Work had me annoyed by days end so when quitting time came, I was ready for a relaxing evening on the river. I hit a spot of mine that has wielded at least one really nice fish every spring for the last few years. Tonight didn't disappoint.

This spot has a creek coming into the main river and an extremely visible seam right off the banks. Easy to cast and work baits. I brought along with me my brand new baitcaster combo that I had put together this weekend (thanks to SMBHooker for the advice on a setup.) he really knows his stuff, so when you see his reports, pay attention. I was throwing a chartreuse and white spinner bait parallel to the seam and letting it drift naturally into the slack water when I got the hit. They haven't been hitting viciously lately but have been peeling drag like no other. I finally bring her to hand to measure and weigh it. A hair over 18" and 3.11 lbs was the verdict.

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1492476942.906728.jpg

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1492476951.825055.jpg

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1492476961.062753.jpg

Ended up catching a few others but they were dinks. I even scared the crap, literally, out of one of them.

I fished near 2 other older gentlemen tonight as well. They were slamming fish left and right. I just sat and studied what they were doing. It was fun to watch.

bankfish and Deehntr56 like this.
  2. That's a great smallmouth. Almost fish Ohio

3. They actually changed the fish Ohio size for
    Inland smallmouth to 18" this year. It's still 20" for Lake Erie though.