Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was an odd day at the park today to say the least.
This morning I went to Sterling State Park in Monroe, MI along Lake Erie. I got to my spot about 6:30AM armed with waxworms and minnows galore. The last couple times I've gone fishing I've been burning through both, especially this past Monday at Maumee Bay State Park where I burned through almost 3 dozen waxies.
It was a fairly slow day in some aspects because the biting wasn't hot and heavy, but at the same time I did have some bites especially out deep, where I was casting anywhere from 15 to 30 yards away from the dock using both my medium and heavy action poles off the bottom with minnows, and started off with another pole but with a bobber in shallower water with a minnow. That pole wasn't getting anything, but every 15-30 minutes or so for a good amount of the morning I'd have a good strike on my medium action pole but I'd have next to nothing to show for it. I never brought onto the pier a fish from the deep, though I did have a fight with a longnose gar about 9AM, but it was able to fight itself off. I couldn't get a good eye on a size estimate, but I'd say it was a good 25 yards out when it splashed on the surface then got off the hook.
I decided to change things up about that time, since I had been seeing longnose gars surfacing since I had showed up to the pier, so the heavy action pole came in and I rigged it with a bobber about a 18" or so above the minnow, the other pole with the bobber came in, and I decided to try my luck with a waxworm straight down off the pier. That landed me three small bluegills but that ended up being all I could land.
The heavy action pole did get me a couple good bites (longnose gars) before I brought that in and I used the other pole with the bobber for the fun of it. That too got a couple more longnose gars bites, but nothing to show for it.
The medium action pole I used through out got gar bites as well, but some hits doubled the pole over but miraculously I was always away from the pole when that happened. It's like the son of a guns knew I was walking away, lighting a cigarette, drinking some pop, something LOL
I'm thinking the doubling over was caused by either carp or sheephead. I saw several carp jumping off in the distance, and one guy that was bass fishing on the pier for a few minutes with me said he caught a couple sheephead on his tube lure.
For those that aren't familiar with the biting differences of some fish, carp and sheephead when biting tend to grab, pull, and run off as far as they can. Longnose gars tend to make a couple taps at the end of your pole (when bottom fishing) and then the line goes super slack, at least for me nine times out of ten. When bobber fishing, when longnose gars bite it'll be different then say a bass or bluegill. Bluegills tend to bounce the bobber all around. Bass, especially good sized ones, will take that bait and take off deep. Longnose gars will make the bobber glide along the water, causing the bobber to slope down under the water, but just under the surface letting you see the bobber throughout.
Anyways, I decided to call it a day about 12:30PM.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah I wish I could've gotten a fight on instead of a decent strike on my pole and swim off. I would've liked to have gotten it at least to shore and see what it was. Channel cats are a possibility but it also could've also been a sheephead or carp.

·
Administrator
5,398 Posts
Great report, thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts