Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Threads being closed because of a cpl rule violating posts!!
What happened to the strikes and deletion of these posts?
Closing the thread should be the last option!!

1. Rudeness to other members and especially sponsors will not be tolerated. Difference of opinion is fine and is to be expected but out-right nasty rude exchange will not be tolerated and don't be surprized when they are promptly deleted.

2. Any post that has racial overtones will be promptly deleted and that user who made it considered for removal.

3. This is a family site. We have male and female members of all ages. I expect that your posts recognize this fact. Any post that involves sexually objectionable language or content will be deleted, and the poster will receive a strike. It is the judgment call of the Administrators and Moderators as to what constitutes objectionable, so if you are unsure whether or not your post is appropriate for a family audience, do not post it.

4. The editors of this site may edit posts at any time

5. Any post that is intentionally made to degrade or disrupt the flow of the thread and/or posts that (in the opinion of the moderating staff) are meant to be or are malicious in content will result in a official warning. Trolls will be promptly removed.

6. Personal conflicts and grudges that have occurred among members outside of this site should stay that way. Keep it off the site. This is supposed to be a positive place for thoughts about the outdoors, not a soap opera.

7. Any user of these boards including moderators will be permanently banned upon receiving three warnings (strikes) as determined from the collective moderation staff.
We still maintain the right to ban anyone immediately, no questions asked.

8. All posts made within the forums become the property of iGreatLakes.com LLC (the posts themselves only, not the intellectual content) after they are made and may be stored indefinitely at our discretion.

9. Free advertising is not permitted on these forums. Our paid advertisers pay for the right to sell their products and services here. See http://wwww.igreatlakes.com/ads.htm for more information.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Moderators, please just remove the politics forum post from showing up on the front home page recent threads.

It would be much easier to ignore the posts that cause the contention in the first place.

·
Registered
14,763 Posts
It's been discussed as to closing the Politics forum althogether.

Personally, I'm not taking the time to edit posts or delete individual posts. If the thread cannot stay on topic or the posters be civil in their posts I'm simply closing the threads. Complain to the site administrator and I'm sure that he will close the entire forum.
That's the facts.

·
Super Moderator
3,106 Posts
Steve

Could you just add the Political Forum to the ignore list?

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just follow the rules

Personally, I'm not taking the time to edit posts or delete individual posts. If the thread cannot stay on topic or the posters be civil in their posts I'm simply closing the threads. Complain to the site administrator and I'm sure that he will close the entire forum.
That's the facts.
They're your rules! We don't appreciate laziness..! Follow the standards
by which you agreed.(period) Or maybe turn over your position to
someone less contemptable. Evil is the ABUSE of power...

·
Super Moderator
3,106 Posts
Or you could just move on....

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
:gaga:

I think the mods are doing a great job on a great sportsmans' website.

The problem arises trailstaff, when you come on here spewing your pro-Obama propaganda to the forum members, the great majority of which can't stomach anything Obama stands for. Most of the people on here have core values that are completely opposite of Obama. They are a smart bunch of guys and gals that can see through the propaganda smokescreen to what is really going on in this country.

Do you think you or your comments are going to be well received? Do you actually think you are going to change many minds?

You may as well go onto PETA.com and talk about all the hunts you've been on in your life, post pictures of your kills, and try and convince them what a great sport hunting is.

If you're seeing multiple complaints about your posts, before you rip the mods for removing them, you may want to reassess who the problem actually lies with.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Outdoorsman mentoring

That's the facts.
deerhunt45/moderator... By deleting a post and giving the author a
strike, and maybe sending a private message with the strike, you
are given an opportunity to offer the rule of civil discourse..
By just shutting down the sight you have made no clear correction
to the abuser!
Which is why we have the seperate rules..
It would seem our rules system should have a chain of command
if you insist on abusing the rules intentions..
Maybe have a subordinate rules authority at place to handle the
strike and delete post/rules directives.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
:gaga:

I think the mods are doing a great job on a great sportsmans' website.

The problem arises trailstaff, when you come on here spewing your pro-Obama propaganda to the forum members, the great majority of which can't stomach anything Obama stands for. Most of the people on here have core values that are completely opposite of Obama. They are a smart bunch of guys and gals that can see through the propaganda smokescreen to what is really going on in this country.

Do you think you or your comments are going to be well received? Do you actually think you are going to change many minds?

You may as well go onto PETA.com and talk about all the hunts you've been on in your life, post pictures of your kills, and try and convince them what a great sport hunting is.

If you're seeing multiple complaints about your posts, before you rip the mods for removing them, you may want to reassess who the problem actually lies with.
so we should re-name this the "anti-Obama political discussions" forum and only allow people who do not like Obama to post?
surely doesn't sound like Freedom of expression to me.

people like to say that they are all for freedom of expression until they hear one that they do not agree with!!!!!
sorry but that's just not how life in this country works!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
so we should re-name this the "anti-Obama political discussions" forum and only allow people who do not like Obama to post?
surely doesn't sound like Freedom of expression to me.

people like to say that they are all for freedom of expression until they hear one that they do not agree with!!!!!
sorry but that's just not how life in this country works!
No but I think he needs to consider his audience before he goes crying to the mods for deleting his posts.

How long do you think a pro-hunting post would last an Peta's website? Go on there, tell a hunting story, and then share your comment about freedom of expression, and see how much sympathy you get. If an Obama promoter is coming on here expecting warm fuzzies and hugs, it isn't going to happen.

This site is much more tolerant then PETA's to opposing views, but you need to realize. The political climate in this country is currently like a pile of dry tinder. Pouring gasoline on it or throwing in a match is not going to cause a good outcome. The majority of people on here are hoping Obama is gone come 1-13. Trying to build him up as one of the greatest presidents in history is not going to sit well with those that can see his true colors.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No but I think he needs to consider his audience before he goes crying to the mods for deleting his posts.

How long do you think a pro-hunting post would last an Peta's website? Go on there, tell a hunting story, and then share your comment about freedom of expression, and see how much sympathy you get.

This site is much more tolerant then PETA's to opposing views, but you need to realize. The political climate in this country is currently like a pile of dry tinder. Pouring gasoline on it or throwing in a match is not going to cause a good outcome. The majority of people on here are hoping Obama is gone come 1-13. Trying to build him up as one of the greatest presidents in history is not going to sit well with those that can see his true colors.
I have not had a single post deleted..

They are closing the threads when ppl start ranting and getting
rude and tasteless..

Those are not my traits...but others.

Like(yours) where you state..he goes crying...<< poor taste, and its
meant to be inflammatory...i.e., against the rules of civil discourse!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

How long do you think a pro-hunting post would last an Peta's website? Go on there, tell a hunting story, and then share your comment about freedom of expression, and see how much sympathy you get.

I don't beleive that he did any such thing.take the time and go back and read,he simply asked why a POST that was against forum rules wasn't deleted instead of the entire thread being locked.
just a simple question here but could you tell me why you feel as if you have some right to tell anyone that they shouldn't post what they beleive on an open political forum?
There are definately people here who do not like the President as that is fine.expecting anything else would be insane.but,i can't remember them stating that they wanted you to speak for them.
your right to your opinion carries no more weight than anyone elses.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I don't beleive that he did any such thing.take the time and go back and read,he simply asked why a POST that was against forum rules wasn't deleted instead of the entire thread being locked.
just a simple question here but could you tell me why you feel as if you have some right to tell anyone that they shouldn't post what they beleive on an open political forum?
There are definately people here who do not like the President as that is fine.expecting anything else would be insane.but,i can't remember them stating that they wanted you to speak for them.
your right to your opinion carries no more weight than anyone elses.
Fair enough. Just go back and look at the many reponses to trailstaff's and your posts promoting Obama. You can read how the many on this forum feel in their own words. I was just summing them up for you.

·
Registered
14,763 Posts
deerhunt45/moderator... By deleting a post and giving the author a
strike, and maybe sending a private message with the strike, you
are given an opportunity to offer the rule of civil discourse..
By just shutting down the sight you have made no clear correction
to the abuser!
Which is why we have the seperate rules..
It would seem our rules system should have a chain of command
if you insist on abusing the rules intentions..
Maybe have a subordinate rules authority at place to handle the
strike and delete post/rules directives.
Perhaps you're right but, there's always a but you know :whistle:
I first have to decide what to do with a more important rule,
no trolls or multiple log in names :mischeif:

I like to come to Ohiosportsman to read about the outdoors, check in with friends.
The Politics forum was inherited and came later.
If the site admin wants to replace me or recruit additional moderators, that's fine with me.
It simply takes too much time to try police individual posts that get quoted multiple times
etc. etc. If you don't like it, complain to the site administrator. I hope you do.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
The more I read in this the more I belive the Political Forum should go. Some wouldn't like it as they never posted anywhere else,(they know who they are), and probably never go hunting, fishing, or trapping but come on a site who's main intent is the outdoors purely to speak their philosophy of politics. Maybe the Political Forum should be limited to legislation and event that impact solely outdoor activities.and not the definition of a Liberal or Conservative. LMO

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't help myself!!

The more I read in this the more I belive the Political Forum should go. Some wouldn't like it as they never posted anywhere else,(they know who they are), and probably never go hunting, fishing, or trapping but come on a site who's main intent is the outdoors purely to speak their philosophy of politics. Maybe the Political Forum should be limited to legislation and event that impact solely outdoor activities.and not the definition of a Liberal or Conservative. LMO
Its your finger clicking the mouse.. why enter, maybe your curious?

If you don't like oysters..by god ..don't eat them!!

I'm given you pearls here!!

·
Banned
624 Posts
I have these same sort of discussions with guys at my gun club where my views are also in a minority. But, I've noticed that just the discussion causes them to think about their own values and re-examine issues that they may have just automatically opposed out-of-hand.

To say that they should close the forum or limit it to sports related issues is to imply that sportsmen are just closed minded and are uncomfortable with discussing complex national political issues.

But isn't having the discussion the whole point behind our form of government? Isn't getting together in groups large and small and trying to resolve the problems that face us as a whole, the very definition of a democracy?

Our unique governing style may be messy... it may be uncomfortable at times... it's a lot of work... and it may irritate us to no end... but, it's the best one in the world. We, as citizens, should seek out every opportunity that we can find to spread the discourse and decide issues ourselves.

It's the only way to guarantee that politicians, celebrities, the media, or just plain rich folks don't end up leading us around by the ring through our noses.

The internet and forums like this have opened our ability to communicate with each other in ways no generation has ever enjoyed. We shouldn't fear opposing opinions, but embrace them as we would any other freedom that we enjoy.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I have these same sort of discussions with guys at my gun club where my views are also in a minority. But, I've noticed that just the discussion causes them to think about their own values and re-examine issues that they may have just automatically opposed out-of-hand.

To say that they should close the forum or limit it to sports related issues is to imply that sportsmen are just closed minded and are uncomfortable with discussing complex national political issues.

But isn't having the discussion the whole point behind our form of government? Isn't getting together in groups large and small and trying to resolve the problems that face us as a whole, the very definition of a democracy?

Our unique governing style may be messy... it may be uncomfortable at times... it's a lot of work... and it may irritate us to no end... but, it's the best one in the world. We, as citizens, should seek out every opportunity that we can find to spread the discourse and decide issues ourselves.

It's the only way to guarantee that politicians, celebrities, the media, or just plain rich folks don't end up leading us around by the ring through our noses.

The internet and forums like this have opened our ability to communicate with each other in ways no generation has ever enjoyed. We shouldn't fear opposing opinions, but embrace them as we would any other freedom that we enjoy.
That is what is happening more and more everyday in this country. We are loosing our freedoms to decide what is best for ourselves as our government becomes more entwined in our daily tasks. The majority on here know what Obama truly believes in and don't want him as president anymore. He is stripping our freedom of speech. His administration is working very hard to erode our second amendment rights. If he is allowed to appoint anymore supreme court justices, we could very well lose those rights. (it was only a 5-4 decision before). I do not see how anyone can be pro gun and support Obama. Just look at the positions of the last 2 judges he appointed, and tell me with a straight face that our gun rights will be stronger if he appoints 4 more.

I think the problems arise when the pro-Obama supports come on and build him up to be something he is not, then they tell all the members on here that they are on "the high road" because they support Obama.

If all the politics forum is going to do is breed contention and divide sportsmen then lets get rid of it. It does no good. If there are political issues (2A) that will unite us, then lets limit the forum to those

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Im with that. if it's about hunting and and gun rights by all means say something. I don't mind a little political talk but let's do that with friends and family.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There are so many forums and sub-forums with hundreds and hundreds
of threads and posts that can use your intellect..why bring it to the
politics forum if you hate whats being discussed...????

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.