Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started hunting MO three years ago with a friend who knew a friend. It's now become hunting with my MO family. They put us up, they feed us, they open their homes, and take us to all private farms they or family own. To say it's amazing is an understatement. They catch catfish and crappie all year and we have a HUGE fish fry. I literately eat more fish in a week than I do all year. This year they gigged yellow suckers and we had them one night, really good!

Anyway, I'm still getting used to hunting a state that allows necked cartridges and passed on a couple of shots I should have taken because they were over 200 yards. This year I was shooting a Ruger American in .308 so it has the ability, I just lack the confidence. Next year will be different.

We ended with 6 deer between 4 people, 4 bucks and 2 doe. I passed on a shot at a doe but did kill my buck. He's not a beast but I won't eat tag soup at $265 like last year. Besides, this is about memories and friendships not trophies and taxidermy bills. The one big buck that was killed was killed within 100 yards of where I killed mine. Here are some pics from this year.

I started hunting MO three years ago with a friend who knew a friend. It's now become hunting with my MO family. They put us up, they feed us, they open their homes, and take us to all private farms they or family own. To say it's amazing is an understatement. They catch catfish and crappie all year and we have a HUGE fish fry. I literately eat more fish in a week than I do all year. This year they gigged yellow suckers and we had them one night, really good!

Anyway, I'm still getting used to hunting a state that allows necked cartridges and passed on a couple of shots I should have taken because they were over 200 yards. This year I was shooting a Ruger American in .308 so it has the ability, I just lack the confidence. Next year will be different.

We ended with 6 deer between 4 people, 4 bucks and 2 doe. I passed on a shot at a doe but did kill my buck. He's not a beast but I won't eat tag soup at $265 like last year. Besides, this is about memories and friendships not trophies and taxidermy bills. The one big buck that was killed was killed within 100 yards of where I killed mine. Here are some pics from this year.

Clothing Trophy hunting Hunting Deer hunting Vertebrate

Plant community Ecoregion Natural landscape Plant Natural material

Plant Elk Deer Tree Wood

Window Plant Hat Sky Wood

Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion Tree

Atmosphere Sky Nature Natural landscape Branch
Plant community Plant Wood Land lot Tree
Brown Plant Sky Natural landscape Wood

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sounds like a blast , definitely want to try out of state some day. I hunted some in NC when I was in the service but to be honest it just wasn't the same . Close to the ocean and you had to make sure you were actually shooting at a deer not somebody's dog lol. Congrats again man

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
nice congrats .
also I know you live a ways from me but I have access to a 180 yard range I can take you to if you want to get some practice in before next year . We can get your rifle set up for a POA shoot from zero to 250 yards . and work on that confidence . just shoot me a text or call and we will work it out , if you want

1 - 9 of 9 Posts