Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put out my mineral licks yesterday and today, figured everything is a month early this year so I put them out about a month earlier. Do you think that is a good idea or to early? By the way found an set of 8 pt sheds near one of my licks.:thumbs_up:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Home- made.

I use the Dical-trace mineral and salt mix, works for me as good as anything I have bought except maybe Trophy Rock.

·
Registered
679 Posts
what is beneficial minerals...:D
Someone posted something similar, which made me ask the same question; so I did a little research. Opinion/findings vary, but most seem to agree that calcium, phosphorous, and salt are critical. The more calcium and phosphorous the better, but there needs to be enough salt (min. of 25%) to make it attractive. Calcium:phosphorous ratio should be 1.5 - 2 : 1. Found one called "Track Hoe" that is approximately 16% calcium, 8% phosphorous, 34% salt. Seems like a good mix, but will know better after seeing the actual results.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
It is never too soon. I use the Trophy Rock. When I put the last one out, my favorite doe walked past her feed, walk right past me sitting on the 4 wheeler and went right to licking that rock. That surprised me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Antler King's Trophy Deer Mineral has high percentages of Phosphorus and Calcium. Also, plenty of salt. The make-up of an antler is entirely almost all phosphorus and calcium so those should be the key ingredient you should be looking for. Deer lack salt during the summer months when they are losing a lot of it from consuming green foliage. The moisture and water content in plants decrease sodium levels in the deer.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I noticed last week that my old white salt block was getting hit hard. Fresh tracks and they dug all around it. So I just put out two stations 3 days ago.

My mix was one part Di-cal, one part trace mineral with selenium and two parts mixing salt. Then I topped the site off with apple buck jam. Walmart has the 1 gallon buck jam for $5. I will get 3 licks with that buck jam and still have enough of the di-cal, trace and mixing salt to refresh them all year. The total was around 65 bucks.

I did trophy rocks last year and never saw the draw that I thought I should have.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Antler King's Trophy Deer Mineral has high percentages of Phosphorus and Calcium. Also, plenty of salt. The make-up of an antler is entirely almost all phosphorus and calcium so those should be the key ingredient you should be looking for. Deer lack salt during the summer months when they are losing a lot of it from consuming green foliage. The moisture and water content in plants decrease sodium levels in the deer.
Good info here, another thing you must also realize is that your soil has a lot to do with how much of what you should be putting out. The reason deer dig in your licks is to get to the salt, because the salt dissipates quickly compared to other comments in your mineral licks. Deer do need salt fact, but if your using something 90% salt it is not improving your herds health as much as you think. A deers bones are 20% calcium 10% Phosphorus which includes antlers. So it is often recommended that whatever brand you use has at least 16% calcium 8% phosphorus. IF YOUR USING TO PROMOTE ANTLER GROWTH. If you are just using a lick to draw deer use high salt stuff from March until June. They will eat it up. Its all about what you want your mineral to do.

On a side note Mr. Bucks do you use the Antler King? Pros, cons of it, and what else have you used that you like, or don't like. Also what is your goal for the use of minerals?

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Someone posted something similar, which made me ask the same question; so I did a little research. Opinion/findings vary, but most seem to agree that calcium, phosphorous, and salt are critical. The more calcium and phosphorous the better, but there needs to be enough salt (min. of 25%) to make it attractive. Calcium:phosphorous ratio should be 1.5 - 2 : 1. Found one called "Track Hoe" that is approximately 16% calcium, 8% phosphorous, 34% salt. Seems like a good mix, but will know better after seeing the actual results.

results...?:biggrin:

·
Registered
679 Posts
results...?:biggrin:

Regardless of how good it might be, I'm guessing it might need more than 24hrs. to kick-in. Patience Sir. I'm thinking at least 1 week before all the forkhorns transform into Bullwinkle.

·
Registered
122 Posts
FredBear
I really do think Antler King is the best mineral on the market!! You really have to pay attention when you shop for mineral, plus read plenty of research. I want mineral that holds deer and helps increase rack growth. Lucky Buck has 70% salt and no phosphorus, trophy rock has 99% salt and no phosphorus.
Antler King has 22% salt, 8.5% Phosphorus, and a total of 27 different major minerals, trace minerals, vitamins, amino acids, and a yeast culture that stimulates digestion.
Calcium can be used for antler growth but a certain level of phosphorus has to be present in that deer's diet. Like I said, Phosphorous is the most important mineral and most expensive. And before calcium and phosphorus can interact, enough vitamin D has to be present in the deer's diet. so all the minerals and vitamins work together very closely.

If you want better antler growth...Antler King is the mineral!!

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
FredBear
I really do think Antler King is the best mineral on the market!! You really have to pay attention when you shop for mineral, plus read plenty of research. I want mineral that holds deer and helps increase rack growth. Lucky Buck has 70% salt and no phosphorus, trophy rock has 99% salt and no phosphorus.
Antler King has 22% salt, 8.5% Phosphorus, and a total of 27 different major minerals, trace minerals, vitamins, amino acids, and a yeast culture that stimulates digestion.
Calcium can be used for antler growth but a certain level of phosphorus has to be present in that deer's diet. Like I said, Phosphorous is the most important mineral and most expensive. And before calcium and phosphorus can interact, enough vitamin D has to be present in the deer's diet. so all the minerals and vitamins work together very closely.

If you want better antler growth...Antler King is the mineral!!
Thanks for the analysis. I am usually a label reader. This one got by me.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts