Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
22,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday-

I saw this yesterday and will enjoy seeing some of the new faces. Grant is starting at MLB, and Hyde is listed as backup to Hall.

"It was made very clear where we are," Meyer said Wednesday.

Meyer pulls no punches and holds no regard for ego or feelings. Each 15-minute meeting included Meyer sharing an evaluation from the strength coaches, an evaluation from the assistant coaches who work closely with the player, an academic evaluation and the final answer from the man hired to be The Answer in moving Ohio State's program past the turbulence of the last 17 months and on to a bright, championship-laden future.

Meyer's high standards -- on and off the field -- have been a welcome change for some players and probably a complete culture shock to others. Meyer discussed his feelings and the results of those meetings and unveiled Ohio State's post-spring depth chart Wednesday in his first public remarks since Ohio State's spring game on April 21.

"We set the depth chart now, and we made a big emphasis with the players this spring, that it's not just about fundamental development and skill development, it's about earning a spot," Meyer said. "When we get to camp in August, it's not about developing the depth chart. It's about trying to go win a game."
http://www.foxsportsohio.com/05/16/...ing_ohiostate.html?blockID=730322&feedID=8889

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
In foxsportsohio column it references on and off field performance. I think something that really raised his blood pressure, while at Florida, was the amount of arrests his players had under his watch. The locals were very upset about it and I'm sure he was as well. It got to be a real thorn in his side as you might expect. I believe he will hammer home and outline the quality of life away from the field. He'll have a very short fuse if a player gets in trouble. Just my two cents on this subject so we shall see.

RGJZ06

·
22,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would agree with that RG. If you look at the recruits he's trying to bring in, they tend to be a tad more mature and responsible, but 18 year olds are tough to keep on the straight and narrow, no matter what anyone says. Think back to when we were that age.;):D

You can only do so much, but once they leave the field, and their on their own, it comes down to the individual and what situations they put themsleves in. You can tell them the right things to do, until your blue in the face, but 18-19 year olds are going to do what they want to do. You only hope they don't get into too much hot water.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I would agree with that RG. If you look at the recruits he's trying to bring in, they tend to be a tad more mature and responsible, but 18 year olds are tough to keep on the straight and narrow, no matter what anyone says. Think back to when we were that age.;):D

You can only do so much, but once they leave the field, and their on their own, it comes down to the individual and what situations they put themsleves in. You can tell them the right things to do, until your blue in the face, but 18-19 year olds are going to do what they want to do. You only hope they don't get into too much hot water.
Mom always Said, you can't put an old head on a young body, but I wish you could.

Knowing how it went down here in Florida, I just don't think he's going to take a bunch of crap at Ohio State. Another thing I think got him in trouble here is he ended up being the players buddy and maybe lost some respect from them because of it. Don't get me wrong, I don't think a coach needs to be a hard a$$, just not their friend.

I'm looking forward to this season. We will see if he still has it. Zook had him loaded up when he started coaching at Florida. That's not the case right now at OSU.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
brigham young does a good job of it,keeping their players out of trouble...whats their secret...:D

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
brigham young does a good job of it,keeping their players out of trouble...whats their secret...
Maybe building a school out in the middle of the least populated area of the country....no, no that's not it...

It's because winning is not an emphasis.

I can name hundreds of post-secondary schools that have very little problems with their athletes and they all have something in common with BYU......they aren't competitive at a national level.

Personally I like watching top level competitive college sports and realize every team in this category will take on many "at risk" kids.

If the public truly gave a darn and actually wanted to watch student athletes we'd all be watching Brown play Yale...yawn! The only game I watch and enjoy in this capacity is the Army/Navy game....those guys are the definition of student athlete!!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm looking forward to this season. We will see if he still has it. Zook had him loaded up when he started coaching at Florida. That's not the case right now at OSU.

RGJZ06
OSU will have one definite advantage over the system at UF in 2010: No Steve Da-Dazzler Adazzio wasting oxygen as OC.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Rough Day for the Buckeyes

Stoneburner and Mewhort arrested for pissing in public then running from officers.

Lost Jaylon Smith to ND (was pretty obvious he was leaning that way)

Lost Maurice Hurst to Michigan (cue the "non-committable" offer retort)

Don't feel bad. Michigan's big Will Campbell was arraigned for sliding across the hood of a car while drunk (He's 325lbs and didn't quite make it)

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Mewhort and Stoney - no big deal; internal issue. You can call me guilty of this about a thousand times while a student at OSU.....and hundreds as an alumni. Summer punishment...can't see playing time missed for this one.

Smith - nobody at OSU was counting on Jaylon...everybody knew he was going to ND. Who wouldn't want him even if he isn't a need you take him! He'll do well @ ND and get a great education...but he won't play in BCS games or win any kind of title. And OSU is fine at LB and we don't need to take any this year.

Hurst - nobody at OSU cares about that....Poggi is a little different though...OSU wanted him:D Anybody at OSU saying different is full of it!

Campbell - he's in trouble and will need some help to plea that felony charge down. If he can pay for all the damage (or make arrangements to pay) I see him getting the plea down and being guilty of only 2 misdemeanors. College kids do dumb things when drunk...unfortunately for him he screwed up bad due to the dollar amount involved. If he'd just smashed a porch pumpkin in the road or something like drunken idiot students do this would be a minor issue. If he gets it cleaned up he'll get to stay in school..if not he't out - you can't have felons enrolled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts