Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

messed up BC!!

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  cambridgezowie 
#1 ·
So after purchasing my handi rifle from dicks sporting goods over a week ago I get a call today we need you to drive the 25miles to our store and fix your background check that was checked by and signed off on by our manager. he said I spelled the place of birth wrong and they need to send the forms to ATF. I said well im a little busy and he says well it needs to be done this week.

how is this my problem that I misspelled a word and they had 2 people check it. dicks does their stuff on a touch screen computer so I can see me hitting the wrong button but common this should have been caught 2 weeks ago.

im debating if Im going to waste my gas and time going up there.

#4 ·
The only reason I didn't tell the guy No on the phone was the first rifle they sent me the rifling and throat looked as if someone sent little elves in there with a hammers and beat the snot out of the rifling and throat. the machining was horrible with shavings and chatter marks all through it. I should have checked the bore before purchasing it but it was a spur of the moment thing because it was on sale and the counter guy and I have know each other for years so got to b.s. when I called to ask them about a return because H&R is out of business they said yes and upon looking at the other 2 they had on the shelf the rifling and throat was chewed up.

they took care of me so im going to head there after work and make it right. I also don't want ATF knocking on my door but what I want to know is how it went 1 full week and no one caught it. stuff like this doesn't help our countries gun situation very much.

#8 ·
Could be but I didn't provide false info. false info would be saying I was born in Michigan when in fact I was born in Westlake Ohio. you don't get to see what you put in because its on the computer touch screen and once your done it flips screens to the next.

the guy said I misspelled it so I'm thinking its either westake, westlak, etc. either way with 2 of them looking over the paperwork how was this not caught a week ago. I would also like to know how come the paper works still sitting at the store and not in ATF hands. I'm not sure how this works but I'm sure ATF would be pretty mad that and employee and manager missed this and it wasn't found until a week later.

#10 ·
I just called ATF because I was concerned they put the faulty rifle back on the shelf and it would be sold and if used in a crime come back to me. she said hopefully they fix that in the system and she also said I don't need to drive there to fix it that they get misspellings all the time and they take care of it that its a store policy not ATF.

When I did the return and the new check it didn't let me review it but I did sign the paper. its a misspelling not anything more. I'm still going to head up there and do it because they did help me out. even the ATF lady said they should have caught it and there is a from they should fill out and send to them but its not a big deal for me to go back there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.