Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seeing what responses and opinions are really out there. I am a working father of 4 who loves to deer hunt. With 4 children and lots of overtime at work, my hunting time is very limited. I will shoot the first doe I have a chance at to put meat in the freezer. I try to pass smaller bucks early in the season. When do you put "trophy" aside and fill your tag on a lesser buck so that you don't eat a tag? I get to hunt about once a week. (if that) I live in Darke Co. and hunt there. I take 3-4 days off during the rut to hunt at my uncle's in Galia Co. I give myself the best opprituny to harvest a mature buck by hunting the rut hard. But by the end of gun season, if i haven't got a mature buck, I take the first one I get a chance at. Even if it's a year and a half. One deer puts a lot of meat in my freezer to feed my family of 6. I know some of you wouldn't dream of doing this, but that's how I roll.:coolgleamA: If I had tons of land and time to hunt I would be VERY picky. But I don't, and that's just the way it is.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
never...whats wrong with eating a tag...a lot of people waste more money than that on booze or ciggies a week...and whats wrong with taking another doe...let that lil one grow...:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Just seeing what responses and opinions are really out there. I am a working father of 4 who loves to deer hunt. With 4 children and lots of overtime at work, my hunting time is very limited. I will shoot the first doe I have a chance at to put meat in the freezer. I try to pass smaller bucks early in the season. When do you put "trophy" aside and fill your tag on a lesser buck so that you don't eat a tag? I get to hunt about once a week. (if that) I live in Darke Co. and hunt there. I take 3-4 days off during the rut to hunt at my uncle's in Galia Co. I give myself the best opprituny to harvest a mature buck by hunting the rut hard. But by the end of gun season, if i haven't got a mature buck, I take the first one I get a chance at. Even if it's a year and a half. One deer puts a lot of meat in my freezer to feed my family of 6. I know some of you wouldn't dream of doing this, but that's how I roll.:coolgleamA: If I had tons of land and time to hunt I would be VERY picky. But I don't, and that's just the way it is.
That's how I roll too!!! But I shoot another doe in stead of the lil buck if its not a big buck I shoot all does I am a young father of 4 soon to be 5 and need the mear

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I have said it before and I will say it again. It's your hunt, hunt the way you want. Trophy hunters want to tell every hunter what they should do. Hunting is not all about the trophy to every hunter. We have know law in ohio holding you away from shooting small bucks or a age limit. Just that you can't shoot spotted fawns. It's your hunt and your tag fill it as YOU please as long as it's legal.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
what's a trophy?

I'm a dad too. My greatest trophy, if you will, has come in seeing my son grow up into a young, responsible hunter who loves the outdoors and the hunt about as much as I do. IMO, the greatest trophies are the memories you build in the field. Maybe that's a cop-out, maybe not what you mean. I understand that, to some, "trophies" are measured in points and inches. But not in my book. Maybe that sounds like a cop-out, but I'm just telling you how I roll, since others have expressed their opinions. And I'm sure that meat in the freezer tastes better than a boney head anyway.

·
Registered
46 Posts
And it begins....O.K. My opinion/question is if you want meat. Why not just shoot doe's? There is no reason is there. This state is such a joke when it comes to the buck to doe ratio! If ODNR was'nt so concerned with making $$$$ they would put age/antler restrictions on a buck. Afterall, they are the ones that own the deer correct? If we the hunters would take it in our own hands and only shoot MATURE bucks this meaning 3.5yrs and older. Then we the hunters would have alot greater chance at harvesting that nice MATURE buck so, I guess thats where I stand on the issue. I could go on and on, but would it really make a difference? Probably not. However, I will challange every whitetail hunter out there that the next time that 1.5yr old buck comes trotting by you. Think about what he could be in 2yrs and give him a chance.:yikes:

·
Banned
955 Posts
I have no problem with eating a tag.......I usually only buy one tag a year for hunting properties other than my own. No matter the situation, I won't shoot a small buck anymore. I have personally growth out of that. I would much rather shoot a doe than a small immature buck.

·
Registered
316 Posts
And it begins....O.K. My opinion/question is if you want meat. Why not just shoot doe's? There is no reason is there. This state is such a joke when it comes to the buck to doe ratio! If ODNR was'nt so concerned with making $$$$ they would put age/antler restrictions on a buck. Afterall, they are the ones that own the deer correct? If we the hunters would take it in our own hands and only shoot MATURE bucks this meaning 3.5yrs and older. Then we the hunters would have alot greater chance at harvesting that nice MATURE buck so, I guess thats where I stand on the issue. I could go on and on, but would it really make a difference? Probably not. However, I will challange every whitetail hunter out there that the next time that 1.5yr old buck comes trotting by you. Think about what he could be in 2yrs and give him a chance.:yikes:
He will be meat no matter the age or antler size. There are some hunters out there trying to put meat on the table. With corn prices soaring the way they are any meat bought from a store is going to be way overpriced. If I am out trying to provide for the family I'm shooting any deer that walks by. Those antlers will do nothing to fill my belly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I have a choice between a doe or a small buck, of course ill shoot the doe. I don't mind the money aspect of not using a tag. But a tag doesn't fill my family's bellies.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
For ME, never. I'd rather eat the tag than shoot a deer I'm not happy with. But,the reality is some of the bucks I'm happy with would scarcely get a second though from some guys.

Everybody wants different things from their season. Just because some people are out there with the mature buck or bust attitude doesn't mean everyone has to be or should be.

Have fun, good luck.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
In areas of this state we would be better off if hunters would shoot a young buck vs a doe. I have come to value our doe much moreso than a young buck. Opposite what the DOW would have you believe, we are not all over-run with deer, and guarding our does is the only option.

"Take a doe, and let him grow" is bad management where the herd is severely depleted by over harvest and predation.

If you want to shoot a young buck, regardless of your motivation, I will congratulate you on your success.

·
Registered
576 Posts
you should be proud of any deer available to harvest. each whitetail buck or doe brings its own challanges when it walks infront of your stand. focusing on only large mature bucks is a good practice but sometimes i feel it takes away the value of harvesting any other deer outside of that catagory. but like said before its your hunt do what you please.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I have no problem with eating a tag.......I usually only buy one tag a year for hunting properties other than my own. No matter the situation, I won't shoot a small buck anymore. I have personally growth out of that. I would much rather shoot a doe than a small immature buck.
i'd rather go home empty handed than shoot any buck smaller than my last one...if i can take a doe...fine...:biggrin:

·
Registered
152 Posts
There are alot of great responces on this. I'm a father as well my oldest son hunts alot with me & we shoot 2 doe each (normally) but I too would shoot a third before a small buck I try to wait on the big buck during bow but once gun roles around it's all about meat. I never want to use my buck tag the last day on a buck that i wouldnt use it on the first day.

·
Banned
955 Posts
In areas of this state we would be better off if hunters would shoot a young buck vs a doe. I have come to value our doe much moreso than a young buck. Opposite what the DOW would have you believe, we are not all over-run with deer, and guarding our does is the only option.

"Take a doe, and let him grow" is bad management where the herd is severely depleted by over harvest and predation.

If you want to shoot a young buck, regardless of your motivation, I will congratulate you on your success.
This is the main reason why I have not shot a doe in 2 years

·
Registered
48,626 Posts

so do what you gotta do...how many doe have you kilt in the last yr....5 yrs. 10 yrs...:mischeif:20 yrs...:mischeif:including the offspring they would have had and the offspring of insueing yrs....thats the total you personally wiped out...yes i know someone else prolly woulda kilt em...but then again if you did...we'll never know...:biggrin:

·
Registered
46 Posts

Sorry but that is one of the most outragous things I have ever heard! Due to the fact that there are 10 does to every 1 buck in this state. DOW knows what is going on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry but that is one of the most outragous things I have ever heard! Due to the fact that there are 10 does to every 1 buck in this state. DOW knows what is going on.
I guess it depends on your area. This will be the second year hunting my new spot in Darke Co. I aquired permission around Thankgiving last year and hunted only 3 times before harvesting my buck. During those 3 hunts I saw 2 forkhorns, a 12pt., and my buck. NO DOES. Afterward I set up my camera.....all bucks. Set it up this year......1 doe and fawn, 7 bucks. The landowner who also hunts comfirmed to me that he doesn't see many does. So I won't be shooting any does until I see that there is alot more than I think, or late season.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Ah, the ol' meat vs trophy debate. I am always amused by this debate. Well, like there should be a debate anyway because as far as I am concerned it is a totally individual decision. But I'll chime in on this only because I had a personal revelation last season that has totally changed how I feel and not any way, shape or form in the direction that I expected.

I started hunting in the 1990's and my first deer was in 2000. I only gun hunt although I have had times in my short hunting career when I really wanted to learn to bow hunt. As my thoughts on hunting "matured" I started going what seems to be a natural progression from wanting to just shoot a deer to wanting to shoot a mature buck. I started letting little bucks walk. Certainly a satisfying feeling to be selective about what game to shoot or not to shoot. But then a combination of a freezer accident where we lost all our meat and just life getting busy so limited time in the woods and we went nearly 2 years without any venison in the freezer. During that time I could have shot a couple young bucks but I let them walk.

Then on my 4th day of hunting deer gun season 2011 and letting a little buck walk the day before, I decided I wanted meat in my freezer more than letting a little buck walk. So when another year and a half old buck wandered past, I shot it. The feeling I got of putting a deer into the freezer to feed my family was wonderful. I was excited, my heart was racing, I was shaking. You would have thought I had just shot my first deer. And at that moment, I realized that for me hunting is not about shooting a big mature buck. There is way more to it than that.

And the rest of the story is more difficult to explain in words. It's not that I will just shoot the first young buck that walks by. I still plan to be selective to a certain degree. It's not that I wouldn't be totally thrilled to have a chance to shoot a mature buck because I would. It's more like I figured out that I enjoy hunting without any strings attached. Maybe that is why I am drawn to small game hunting so much. A rabbit is a rabbit is a rabbit. People don't fight over shooting a particular rabbit. Neighbors don't fight over shooting each others rabbits. There is no competition. It is never about the biggest or the best. It is why deer hunting sometimes puts a bad taste in my mouth. It is why last year I discovered that I hunt deer for me. What my neighbor does or even what the other hunters on my property do is of little concern to me as long as it is legal.

Shoot whatever deer you like. The important part is to enjoy being out there a part of nature. Relax and soak it all in.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts