Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of the old Mead land is still open to public hunting. I know most of it was bought up by the Scioto land company. I e-mailed them but have not heard anything in a while. I hunted Vinton and Adams county. I have an old atlas that shows lots of chuncks of land in those two counties. I contacted Ohio DNR and they said they bought some of they land. Just looking for some info. Going to call the game warden for info. Figured someone might have some info.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Best place I ever hunted was the experimental forest (mead, Scioto land company and now ODNR). It's in vinton just outside of a little place called dundas. Full of turkey and deer.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Banned
955 Posts
Most of mead land in and around vinton is leased. The only mead property I know that is still open is the experimental forest. Everything else is leased.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. We hunted the second week of november last year. We only hunted 2 days then the rain chased us back home. I was going to go down to the experimental forest but never made it. We stayed at Lake Hope State Park. I mainly hunted zaleski state forest.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
It's probably a little better hunting. Hunt the west side in between the main highway and the first rd on the left as you're pulling in, seems less pressured. Also, if you follow ghat rd out till it t's make a left and go about half way to the gate (if its still there). Both sides of the rd are good especially near the pines across the creek. We camped there for years till I bought a place near Shawnee.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts