Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went fishing at Maumee Bay State Park in Oregon,OH yesterday morning. I got there at about 6:15AM and the first couple hours I was there it was dead quiet. I'd have to say it was too dead quiet because the bites were at a minimum. I had a line cast deep with a crawler off the bottom via my heavy action rod, while in the shallower water between the end of the pier and the shore I had a bobber, with the wind and current blowing towards where I was standing at the end of the pier that's shaped like a T. That's where the couple bites I had came until I decided to pull in the bobber and try my ultra lights along the pier with waxworms.
Having done that at about 8:30AM or so I soon found the bluegills hiding out. I caught a couple small bluegills right off the bat, but just about a foot below the surface and not near the bottom like I would find at a similar style pier at Sterling State Park in Monroe, MI.
After a little bit of a pause about 9:30AM I switched to panfish worms since I had run out of the few waxworms I had left I caught another small bluegill, which I decided to try something out. I brought in my heavy action pole, and decided to rig it with the small bluegill and see what happened. While waiting on that I caught an almost hand sized bluegill and a small white bass. I also foul hooked a fish I can't properly identify. I didn't take a picture of it, but it had a forked tail and a blunt snout and was silver in color. It wasn't a white bass, their mouths are in front of their mouth. It wasn't a sheephead, it didn't have the forehead like a sheephead. The only thing I could come up with is an oversized shiner or chub. This fish was about 4-5" long. Any guesses? After taking the hook out from under it's gill flap (yeah, I really foul hooked it LOL) I released it.
After using what panfish worms I could use since most were cooked I decided to toss my medium action rod into the shallow water around 11:30AM for ghits and siggles, Well, where I cast it I managed to find THE one spot in the lagoon that had a snag. After a few attempts to free it I decided to go to the tackle box to find a knife so I can cut the line. When I went back to the pole, I tried reeling in as much line as I can because I'm cheap like that, but instead of expecting only to get a couple turns of the reel of line out I kept reeling in line, like it wasn't even snagged. Not to mention it felt like I was bringing something in. Come to find out I caught another bluegill, not real big but probably the half the size of my hand. I tossed it back but the son of a gun got a lot of thanks for unsnagging my line.
After that I decided to call it a day at about noon. I can't complain, I caught some fish and the weather was nice. The sun shined throughout and the winds were coming from the SW at not a bad clip.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Sounds like a nice, relaxing day of drowning some worms :D.

I was gonna guess sheephead on the one you snagged, but your further description ruled that out. Maybe a creek chub?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a nice, relaxing day of drowning some worms :D.

I was gonna guess sheephead on the one you snagged, but your further description ruled that out. Maybe a creek chub?
It was really relaxing. Like I said, it was quiet and pretty calm. Even the water was almost like glass the whole time I was there.
I was thinking maybe creek chub, but haven't done much searching...yet. First glance has it being a sheephead because of the snout, but I don't recall sheepheads having a forked tail like this fish had.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like it might be a buffalo..
Actually the other day I did some searching and it ended up being a species I had heard of and thought it might've been but had never really come close to before that day. It was a gizzard shad. So needless to say that I caught myself a new species, to me anyways. Had never caught a gizzard shad before this year.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Sound like you had a great morning on the lake. Catching them is always secondary! ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was quite the fine day that day. I'm aiming, weather permitting, to head over there Sunday-my next day off work. I'll keep you posted on if I do go there and how I do that day.
But the question is: What is considered a good sized gizzard shad?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are the lagoons at Maumee Bay State Park landlocked or do the connect to Lake Erie? Also, has anyone ice fished them? Thanks!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are the lagoons at Maumee Bay State Park landlocked or do the connect to Lake Erie? Also, has anyone ice fished them? Thanks!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
As far as I know, the lagoon that you see that's part of the beach and has the two fishing piers is connected to Lake Erie. There's a boat channel if I'm not mistaken that connects the lagoon to Lake Erie. It has been a little while since I've done some walking around but I'm pretty sure that's the case.
As far as the ice fishing question goes, I don't ever really go there during the cold weather months so I can't really answer that for you. I don't see why you couldn't ice fish there given there's some nice enough ice in the lagoon. There's plenty of bluegills, crappies, gizzard shad, and white bass to be had and I know there's also largemouth/smallmouth bass and channel cats. Those are the fish I've caught there, but I've seen carp jumping and I don't see why you couldn't get a hold of a sheephead, northern pike, or yellow bullhead there as well. About the only fish that I can think of that I haven't run into there for one reason or another are muskie and longnose gars. Why there aren't gars there I have no idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts