Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went fishing this morning at Maumee Bay State Park in Oregon, OH, a few miles east of Toledo. I got there at 7:15AM or so and started off with a medium action rod cast out about 20 yards out and off the bottom using nightcrawlers, and another pole with a bobber also with a nightcrawler within a few feet of the pier. After a few minutes the pole with the bobber got a few bites and eventually cleaned, so I decided I was going to take advantage of a good bite. I decided to pull that bobber pole in and bust out my ultra light pole and try waxworms straight down, and boy that was the best idea I could've come up with. For as warm as it was this morning and really all day, it was one of those days were the biting was literally and figuratively nonstop. Not with the crawlers off the bottom on my medium action, but I was catching 'em up with the ultra light. In about six hours I breezed through three dozen waxworms. By 1PM I had caught more then two dozen pumpkinseeds, crappie, and bluegills. They were everywhere!
The first couple hours of the day, to break it down, for the majority was white crappie. At one point I had caught 8 white crappie to one sunfish, with only one of those crappies at a decent size. After 10AM or so it was mostly the bluegills. Usually in a setting where a pier comes into a lagoon the panfish will stick around and under the pier. That was the case today but they were being bold and being seen near the surface a few feet away from the pier, and not just the good sized ones but there was a ton of smaller young bluegills. Not bluegill minnows really but maybe size-wise a third of the size of your hand.
Thing I was noticing today more then any other time fishing there at Maumee Bay State Park, I was noticed that compared to other parks that are similar to this park you have a lull in the action after the early morning bite, and then a bite again around noon (lunch time). Not the case today. Another thing I noticed, and I think there's a reason for the usual lull, is that in other places you have predatory fish that are around and chasing them around, even in this heat. Fish like largemouth bass, catfish, bullhead, longnose gars, etc. In the several hours I was there, I saw absolutely no gars to speak of. There were a few fish jumps, some of which you can attribute to the bluegills closeby where I was fishing, but I'd say a couple were probably made by carp and maybe bass, but none of those were real close to where I was at.
All in all, as far as the fishing goes, it was really good. About 1PM I had run through those three dozen waxworms like I mentioned, so I decided I was going to keep my medium action pole cast out deep with the nightcrawler, but I decided to have some fun and do something I haven't done much there at Maumee Bay State Park-and that's try out a few lures and see if I couldn't maybe get a hold of a couple more bluegills or even a bass that *may* be nearby. Well, I tried a couple different rooster tails, a twister, and even a red spoon but no bites on them, though the twister did get a couple looks from those bluegills.
About 1:30PM I noticed that the sunny skies I had most of the day were clouding up and had started to get dark towards the west. About twenty minutes later it had started getting darker and closer when I heard a lifeguard at a nearby beach announce that there was a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Lucas County (the county where I was fishing and also where Toledo is located) so no sooner did that get announced that I started packing, but by the time I had started taking a couple things to the car then a huge wind come blowing in and it got even darker even quicker. So my day was done going on 2PM, but I can't complain. I got some good fishing in and brought home some fish.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
What a great report! Sound like you had a super day fishing. Congrats! ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a great report! Sound like you had a super day fishing. Congrats! ;)
Thanks. I'm going to start putting my fishing reports up on here more often. Most of the time I fish in SE Michigan and put my fishing reports on those boards, but when I fish in Michigan I'll post 'em on here somewhere I'm thinking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts