Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

23,097 Posts

23,097 Posts
I have handled both new Ruger/Marlins. the 1st one was THE 1895 SBL at a Gun Show, and the fit and finish was very good. Smooth action, and I like the threaded Barrel. Everything about the gun was well made. They had a $2,500 price on the gun back in May when demand was very high and limited supply. That is Gun Broker prices and they have been selling in the $2,000-$2,600 range there. MSRP Per Ruger is $1,199 last December. They are selling at a premium.

The new one that came out Recently- Ruger/Marlin Trapper. This one was at a local gun store. They put it out a few days earlier. They only received one. I had it in my hands for 10 minutes or so, fit and finish was great and I seriously debated on buying it at $1,349. After considerable debate in my mind, I passed since I want to see what other models they put out. I will add a new Ruger/Marlin at some point. Both guns impressed!!

The following Saturday, I stopped in again and the Ruger/Marlin was gone but for the 1st time in 3-4 years they had a used JM Stamped Marlin on the used gun rack. Saw the Bullseye on the stock and knew right away. Asked to see it and when they handed it to me I saw the Short Barrel was ported and the Walnut wood furniture was real nice. I knew I had a 1895G (Guide Gun) in my hands in pristine condition at a great price. They made these 1998-2002 only. This one was a 1999. After looking it over in detail, it looked like it was used very little. It came home with me. It was the second JM Stamped one I bought this past month. Bought a 336 Bicentennial at a gun show right before this one a few weeks back. This one was born in 1970.

With all the time in the world on my hands in Retirement, looks like I have a new hobby looking for firearms.

Reactions: AES

· Premium Member
3,083 Posts
The new Ruger made Marlin 1895’s are extremely well made! Ruger is doing is right!!!

· Registered
32 Posts
The new one that came out Recently- Ruger/Marlin Trapper. This one was at a local gun store. They put it out a few days earlier. They only received one. I had it in my hands for 10 minutes or so, fit and finish was great and I seriously debated on buying it at $1,349. After considerable debate in my mind, I passed since I want to see what other models they put out.
Interesting. I was on a wait list for a couple months before I got the call. From day 1 there was never inventory just sitting on shelves anywhere that I could find (except for people/stores that wanted double MSRP or more!). I paid MSRP at SCHEELS: Sporting Goods, Clothing & Footwear | SCHEELS.com.

23,097 Posts
Interesting. I was on a wait list for a couple months before I got the call. From day 1 there was never inventory just sitting on shelves anywhere that I could find (except for people/stores that wanted double MSRP or more!). I paid MSRP at SCHEELS: Sporting Goods, Clothing & Footwear | SCHEELS.com.

If you read my 1st paragraph it outlines it took months for the local store to get the 1st one- 9 months roughly and they only got one. It went on the rack and sold for approx msrp. Same with the other two models(Trapper and Guide Gun). The only places that had one for several months was gun broker and a few other auction sites and like I indicated they were selling for twice the MSRP or more. Good old supply and demand. Reputable stores did not price gouge.

The new 336 and 1894 Models are next and suppose to start coming out in early 2023.

· Registered
32 Posts
If you read my 1st paragraph...
I read the entirety of your post as well as every other post in the thread.

It went on the rack and sold for approx msrp.
I was simply citing a difference from your experience to mine. My experience was the place(s) selling for MSRP (not "approx msrp") never put them out since they had a wait list. I paid MSRP (exactly) once my name got called on the wait list.

Overall I was sharing to benefit others.

23,097 Posts
Got it-

Just to clarify my post, MSRP in the good old days was high retail. Many LGS Stores typically priced guns below that. Once Obama pushed the button on new gun laws along with Covid creating havoc, it started to affect supply and demand on guns and ammo.

This specific LGS Store did not take names or orders for the new 1895 and any others to be put on a waiting list since they were told there was no time line on when they would get them and how many. They wanted to avoid upset customers. When they did receive the 1st gun-one- they sold it right away. Same with the Trapper and the Guide Gun. Never more then one except for the trapper where they received two. Their approx. price was relatively close and I believe one was below msrp. This specific gun store has several locations and each location may have received a prorated amount based on what they totally received, and they do move a good quantity of guns, they are just not getting many due to demand. Not many are.

The internet with auction sites(Gun Broker etc) has also affected pricing.

When I was involved with my club's FFL, I had access to guns at wholesale prices along with inventory and I remember times when you couldn't get an AR for months during the Obama era and they were selling at a huge premium, along with other gun examples of shortages. It's even worse today in some cases, but the good news(if we want to call it that) is the ammo and reloading powder etc... I am seeing on shelves is the highest it has been in a very long time but prices are up there too. Large Rifle primers are still no where to be found except at gun shows where they are asking over $125/1000. 410 ammo @$20-$27 a box?? and the list of higher prices goes on.

· Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I've always been a fan of the traditional looking lever guns....I will be keeping an eye out for a good deal on a 336....love that walnut stock! Speaking of walnut stocks, this is the rifle I hunted with this pass year.....
Longbow Sleeve Wood Air gun Shotgun
Longbow Sleeve Wood Air gun Shotgun

23,097 Posts
Looks good-I am partial to nice wood furniture on a gun

Here is an updated video from the last day of the shot show on Marlin! They get into the details and release dates of the new 336 and 1894's.

DEEP Dive New Marlins SHOT Show 2023 - YouTube

I added several marlins over the past few years and here is one I just happened to come across about 3 weeks ago. It’s an all original, numbers matching 1948 Marlin 39 A in very nice condition and nice walnut wood.

Brown Wood Musical instrument Varnish Hardwood

Wood Gun accessory Wood stain Air gun Hardwood

Brown Wood Wood stain Hardwood Varnish

21 - 30 of 30 Posts