Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Columbus Dispatch, July 17, 2003:

LOGAN, Ohio - A Hocking County bowhunter who fired the arrow that killed another hunter in November will spend the next six months in jail.
Hocking County Common Pleas Court Judge Thomas H. Gerken on Tuesday sentenced Frederick Darby Huffman, 28, of Logan, after he pleaded guilty to negligent homicide in the death of Kary Jenkins, 31, of Circleville.
The men were hunting on Nov. 17 in a wooded area off Unger Road west of Old Man's Cave when Huffman fired a razor-tipped arrow from 27 feet and severed an artery in Jenkins' right thigh, investigators said.
Huffman applied a tourniquet and tried to summon help, but Jenkins had lost too much blood by the time he reached a hospital.
In a plea agreement this week, county prosecutors dropped the felony charge of involuntary manslaughter that Huffman initially faced. If convicted of the more serious charge, Huffman could have faced up to 10 years in prison.
"I heard from an awful lot of people that thought felony charges were too stiff," and David Sams, an assistant county prosecutor. "We felt this was an appropriate resolution to send a signal to reckless hunters. There is a price to be paid for accidents that are avoidable."

· Registered
1 Posts
This article is 20 years old, but I feel like I should speak. My name is Linsey Jenkins and I am the daughter of Kary Jenkins (the man killed). I was a month old at the time (he was killed on the 17th of November and I was born on the 3rd of October). This event changed the entire course of my life and it is one that I can't recover from. The reason he didn't get more time is because of my grandmother. She knew it was an accident and didn't want to ruin his life. She wanted to drop all of the charges, but other family member stopped her. She died a few weeks ago. I've heard my dad was a great man.

· Registered
145 Posts
This article is 20 years old, but I feel like I should speak. My name is Linsey Jenkins and I am the daughter of Kary Jenkins (the man killed). I was a month old at the time (he was killed on the 17th of November and I was born on the 3rd of October). This event changed the entire course of my life and it is one that I can't recover from. The reason he didn't get more time is because of my grandmother. She knew it was an accident and didn't want to ruin his life. She wanted to drop all of the charges, but other family member stopped her. She died a few weeks ago. I've heard my dad was a great man.
Hi Linsey, Sorry for your loss that has forever changed your life and taken away a father that you never knew. Its a rare, personal follow up to these reports that you never hear further about. Could you advise if they were hunting together or just happen to be hunting the same patch of woods? Did the arrow deflect from a real deer shot or was your dad mistaken for a moving deer. Too much missing info. At least he reacted properly afterwards and tried to provide aid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts