Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hunting a 23 acre plot for five years now and it's an awesome piece of river bottom land. The deer funnel through and it's not uncommon to see double digit deer in one sitting. The added bonus of some true monsters makes it all the better. A month ago the landowner called me and told me he was thinking about selling the land and was giving me first right of refusal. I told him I was definitely interested. The week before I went to MO to hunt he called and told me he was selling it and it was mine if I wanted it. We agreed on the price and last night we signed the purchase agreement.

So there will be no more hunting a place for several years and then losing it. I will be able to do with it what I want, how I want, and when I want. I can take others if I want. My plan will be to take at least one new hunter or youth each year so I can share the blessing God has given me.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Very happy for you, this has to be such an experience for you. Enjoy.

Reactions: SWOhio hunter

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I've been hunting a 23 acre plot for five years now and it's an awesome piece of river bottom land. The deer funnel through and it's not uncommon to see double digit deer in one sitting. The added bonus of some true monsters makes it all the better. A month ago the landowner called me and told me he was thinking about selling the land and was giving me first right of refusal. I told him I was definitely interested. The week before I went to MO to hunt he called and told me he was selling it and it was mine if I wanted it. We agreed on the price and last night we signed the purchase agreement.

So there will be no more hunting a place for several years and then losing it. I will be able to do with it what I want, how I want, and when I want. I can take others if I want. My plan will be to take at least one new hunter or youth each year so I can share the blessing God has given me.
Nothing like having your own land, but you will also get problems with it. Trespassers Ect. I have had fish (trout) I stocked in pools I made in a small spring run off, shot and caught by trespassers, signs torn down, hunting shack windows broken out, and food plots torn up from 4 wheelers and motorcycles. But I still love owning my own 150 acres. It also has paid for itself, from power right of ways to timber sales, not to mention the recreation it provides. ENJOY ! ENJOY !

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is almost a perfect scenario, big time congratulations!! You've had 5 solid years to evaluate it and understand some of the pitfalls Buck Buster described exist, real life problems he's talking about. You're also established as someone familiar in the area so it's almost seamless. I purchased 26 acres in Jan 2020 and it's a really been great feeling to finally be a land owner. I'm really excited for you, good luck.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is almost a perfect scenario, big time congratulations!! You've had 5 solid years to evaluate it and understand some of the pitfalls Buck Buster described exist, real life problems he's talking about. You're also established as someone familiar in the area so it's almost seamless. I purchased 26 acres in Jan 2020 and it's a really been great feeling to finally be a land owner. I'm really excited for you, good luck.
That's awesome!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know I'll deal with trespassing at some point but in 5 years of hunting there I haven't had anything on my cameras. I found a gut pile but the blood trail started on the other side of the fence so I'd do what the current landowner decided to do, let it go.
Well, 5 years is a long time to get a grasp on what kind of problems you might encounter along the way, sounds like not to much of an issue, but things can change tin a hurry though. My policy is that if you shoot a Deer and in crosses the fence and dies, it's your Deer, if I'm there I'll help however I can, establishing a good relationship with neighbors is a big priority, goes a long way IMO. I've found that cameras, unless you live close are nothing more than a novelty unless you live close, by the time you retrieve cards and look at pictures it's yesterdays news. After years of waiting for a decent cell camera with a solid app to come out, I finally took the plunge on the Reveal X cell camera and bought 4. WOW it's a game changer, mine are working flawlessly, I get pictures real time with ZERO visits for cards batteries etc, I can check status of the cameras anytime through the app, you just need 1 bar at 4G and your good to go. I use my other cameras for recon in spots I'm scouting, or do't have 4G, the strategy is working nicely. I have multiple properties I hunt, so sometimes I'm spread a little thin. Like you were saying losing access to private ground has been common for me too after years of experience it's frustrating. I've learned to have options on additional properties to prevent being left out in the cold. It's really been exciting having my own place, you're going to love it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I plan on talking with all the neighbors once the deal is sealed. I've talked with a couple of them over the years but I want them to have my info in case they need something.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts