Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 y/o son was lucky enough to be drawn. I was hoping to get him another crack at Killdeer, but this is closer to home anyway. Have any of you been on this youth hunt? Any good bucks? I'm not sure what to expect. Sounds like he can take a friend along, so he can take his 11 y/o brother too. That's a neat idea. Thanks for any info, Jeff

·
Registered
152 Posts
that is a great hunt lots of deer plus they will let you come out a week early & scout around had alot of fun came home with deer

·
Registered
5 Posts
I drew for this area as well (although for adult), so I'm curious if anybody has any info to share too. This will be my first time ever hunting in Ohio since I moved here, so I'm pretty excited. I expect it will be much different than hunting out west.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I would stronly suggest going to the scout day that they will let you know about. YOu can learn you zone and pick out stand sites on that day. ASK THE PEOPLE THAT WORK THERE WHERE THEY SEE THE DEER IN YOUR ZONE!! they are there all hte time, they know. a pair of waders or hip boots are a good idea as well. Lots of deer in there, but you may have to work for them.

·
22,528 Posts
I would stronly suggest going to the scout day that they will let you know about. YOu can learn you zone and pick out stand sites on that day. ASK THE PEOPLE THAT WORK THERE WHERE THEY SEE THE DEER IN YOUR ZONE!! they are there all hte time, they know. a pair of waders or hip boots are a good idea as well. Lots of deer in there, but you may have to work for them.
Definitely all 3 are great suggestions- you could have an area that is mostly marsh and the deer live directly in it on little islands- be ready.

We hunted it years ago and did pretty well. There are some nice Bucks in there, but not in large numbers-you definitely will have to work for them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great hunt

My daughter was dawn for this youth hunt 2 years ago.
I agree with everything being said here.
We were luck enough to have one of the rangers stop by our parking area and give us excellent advice.
We sat up on one of the dikes and waited.
We were done by like 8:00 that morning. ( her first deer, a small buck )
Hope you have an equally great hunt!!

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I talked to one of the workers out there. He said to come to the scouting day and you will find a good spot. He also said make sure to bring boots as there is a good chance a shot deer ends up in the water somewhere. I wonder if Ottawa is better than Magee or vice-versa? We are drawn for Sunday hunt. I can't wait. I'm probably more excited than the boys.;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Had a youth hunt up there with my son years ago and it ranked in the top handfuls of hunts I have ever been on. We had an awesome time a he still talks about it every now and then and he is 25 now. Good luck and most of all enjoy yourselves.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts