Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on a drive with my daughter (7) to glass some deer this evening. we only drove at the most 8 miles and turned around But the trip took 45 min's..... We seen 15 bucks 4 differant groups of bucks and a total of 31 deer 16 being does.. around 5 will be shooters if not a few more.. one was 15 yds from the road. Most of the bucks were very developed. Some were carring 10 points...

Low #'s, I'm not seeing it..

Am I the only one seeing deer like this???

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
thats real good...i see about the same as in years past,,,like past years ,one day i drive by a particular field and maybe see no deer or 1 to 3...and on another day i see 5-15...all i know is my drive down 33 has been very consistan the 2o+years i've done it...live deer and roadkill...i also believe the numbers are very consistant on the wnf where i hunt...what really surprises me is how many big bucks that show up year after year...these sightings are very consistant over the years too...i'm not sure how it happens...i know a lot of p$y sized deer get took each year...i mean do at least half the big boys survive the seasons:mischeif:eek:r do a lot move in from other areas to fill in the gaps...:mischeif:maybe when the big buck numbers are very low more big boys will show up during the rut followin doe back to their bedding areas...with a large doe population as always seem to be...these bucks will be around a while to fill the void...:Dheh heh heh,,,i just know they'll be there...:biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
I haven't been down to my traditional hunting areas, but I have been seeing a ton of deer in the urban areas.

·
Banned
955 Posts
Ohio doesn't have a deer pop problem. Ohio has a deer distribution problem. Obviously areas that are city and/or allow no access are going to have higher deep pops.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I saw a bach.group of three yesterday.. one doe right across street from them.. two doe and maybe a fawn on the way to the lake the other night.. oh and one big coyote along the mad river north of springfeild yesterday.. I can't complain on the number of deer I been seeing

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Yup I see a lot of deer in urban haydenville and in the suburbian areas around nelsonville... :D
Yep I just applied for my urban haydenvilleyin permit man there was 6 of them eating my wifeys flowers last week

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I went on a drive with my daughter (7) to glass some deer this evening. we only drove at the most 8 miles and turned around But the trip took 45 min's..... We seen 15 bucks 4 differant groups of bucks and a total of 31 deer 16 being does.. around 5 will be shooters if not a few more.. one was 15 yds from the road. Most of the bucks were very developed. Some were carring 10 points...

Low #'s, I'm not seeing it..

Am I the only one seeing deer like this???[/QU No Wildman 18, I have been seeing plenty of deer. On properties that I hunt and when I am out driving around. Dont see a problem at all.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just thought I would ask.. I know all winter a lot of people were crying about not seeing any deer or very few.

I just thought I would throw it out there that maybe some of them should get off the couch and look around in the early season it will help during the hunting season.. One just in confidence and two were they are. and three traval pattern's...

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
For years.........not one or two, but from mid 80's to about 2005 you could see 200-300 deer out in front of Delaware St Park from St Rt 23 on just about any given evening at dusk. Now, maybe that is too many deer. However, for the past 1 to 2 years, I have never seen more than 7-10. Yet, we still have 700k deer in the state. Give me a break!

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
For years.........not one or two, but from mid 80's to about 2005 you could see 200-300 deer out in front of Delaware St Park from St Rt 23 on just about any given evening at dusk. Now, maybe that is too many deer. However, for the past 1 to 2 years, I have never seen more than 7-10. Yet, we still have 700k deer in the state. Give me a break!
just seven to 10...wonder how many youre not seeing...:D

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My daughter and I went out again glassing, we seen 45+ deer with 15 of them being buck's. Several were a little far but it was fun glassing with a 7 yr old. She get's excited! My camera sucked and kept flashing when in some cases it was not needed.. We also had a mother and a very little guy (Fawn) cross in front of us but the cam flashed and all I got was black but here are a few pic's. The first was a field with 6 bucks and a couple does. The second pic is of one buck and 2 doe's the buck was a very nice one. 19+inch spread 10 pointer. and the 3rd pic is of 4 deer with 3 being bucks all pretty nice..

All of the deer we seen were on a 7 miles one way and 7 miles back. We only counted deer on the way in.

I am posting the pic's so that you guy's don't think I am some internet squid throwing lies out there..

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
just seven to 10...wonder how many youre not seeing...:D
The same as before. There's less deer. That number would remain a constant. I'll buy a license this year, but if I don't see more deer there is a good chance I won't buy one fall of 2013. I have already heard several hunters say they will not buy a deer tag this year. They aren't saying that because there are a bunch of deer running around everywhere.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
the only place i ever seen those kind of numbers on deer was around highbanks park before the culling when i used to drive up there to hunt...i never seen that number of deer you mentioned standing in those fields so i assume they were not there...i may have seen 10-20 at most and i thought that was good...as for deer in delaware park or the bowhunting area...starting around 2000 when i hunted there...there was simply no deer there...because i never saw one...so i guess i shoulda quit buying my license...i didnt do that...i simply decided to drive a farther distance to athens...i'm not saying theres less deer now but i still drive up thru there every now and then and still see about the same amount of deer in the fields...i hunted delaware for one reason,it was the only place around columbus i could hunt...i lived on the north side of columbus at that time...it was awful...i could hunt it every night after work but it was the worst place i've ever hunted...i seen not one deer off stand there in 2-3 yrs. hunting...i did see deer in headlights when i left there in the dark...so i knew there were some deer there...in the defense of the place i admit my hunting there was a hurridly afair as i got off work about 5...and had to speed there as much as i dared in that speed trap between columbus and there to set up for a couple hrs. hunting at most...as i said i decided to drive to athens but couldnt do that every night...even after moving to the pickerington wrea,but can drive for weekend hunting...immediatly i seenlots more deer but also was hunting longer hours per sit on areas i was familar with...but interesting (to me anyway)i seen about the same amount of deer standing in fields or roadkills as i seen up in delaware...my point here is i didnt quit...i simply drove farther to a place i knew there were deer...and its still what i'm doing today...i've had years i havent hunted due to shoulder problems,maybe 5 yrs...but i still bought a license...sad to say this might be another of those yrs...i havent shot a bow in around 2 months now...but i'll still scout...i'll still help wendy in her hunting and i'll still spend weekends at the deer camp and be at the main camp...driving 60 miles to get there ...and i'll have a license...that money is why we have hunting ,same goes for fishing...and i consider it an honor to contribute the small amount i do by buying a 20 dolla license each year to have what we do here in ohio...i do the same for fishing even if a only go once in a year...its such a small amount that any citizen in ohio can afford...and with this system we have it insures hunting in the future...best insurance rates i've ever had for sure...and thats something a true outdoorsman shouldnt quit on...:biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
the only place i ever seen those kind of numbers on deer was around highbanks park before the culling when i used to drive up there to hunt...i never seen that number of deer you mentioned standing in those fields so i assume they were not there...i may have seen 10-20 at most and i thought that was good...as for deer in delaware park or the bowhunting area...starting around 2000 when i hunted there...there was simply no deer there...because i never saw one...so i guess i shoulda quit buying my license...i didnt do that...i simply decided to drive a farther distance to athens...i'm not saying theres less deer now but i still drive up thru there every now and then and still see about the same amount of deer in the fields...i hunted delaware for one reason,it was the only place around columbus i could hunt...i lived on the north side of columbus at that time...it was awful...i could hunt it every night after work but it was the worst place i've ever hunted...i seen not one deer off stand there in 2-3 yrs. hunting...i did see deer in headlights when i left there in the dark...so i knew there were some deer there...in the defense of the place i admit my hunting there was a hurridly afair as i got off work about 5...and had to speed there as much as i dared in that speed trap between columbus and there to set up for a couple hrs. hunting at most...as i said i decided to drive to athens but couldnt do that every night...even after moving to the pickerington wrea,but can drive for weekend hunting...immediatly i seenlots more deer but also was hunting longer hours per sit on areas i was familar with...but interesting (to me anyway)i seen about the same amount of deer standing in fields or roadkills as i seen up in delaware...my point here is i didnt quit...i simply drove farther to a place i knew there were deer...and its still what i'm doing today...i've had years i havent hunted due to shoulder problems,maybe 5 yrs...but i still bought a license...sad to say this might be another of those yrs...i havent shot a bow in around 2 months now...but i'll still scout...i'll still help wendy in her hunting and i'll still spend weekends at the deer camp and be at the main camp...driving 60 miles to get there ...and i'll have a license...that money is why we have hunting ,same goes for fishing...and i consider it an honor to contribute the small amount i do by buying a 20 dolla license each year to have what we do here in ohio...i do the same for fishing even if a only go once in a year...its such a small amount that any citizen in ohio can afford...and with this system we have it insures hunting in the future...best insurance rates i've ever had for sure...and thats something a true outdoorsman shouldnt quit on...:biggrin:
CS, you can do a search on this very site. I was seeing 60-100 deer in a season from stand back in 2003, 2004 and 2005, and I was not complaining about deer numbers at all. The past couple seasons, I have been seeing about 15 or so during bow season(with the same amount of time spent). That makes bow hunting a LOT less fun. Therefore, I will stop doing it. I am not going to drive 2 hours to WNF every flippin weekend. If that's the only place that has deer, I'll give it up and sell my gear.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I don't think we would notice a change in population from last year yet. Most fawns are not strolling around in open fields yet. Have once again noticed a low number of fawns so far on my cameras this year. Maybe that will pick up. Have seen a few. No twins yet. I do get a lone fawn on camera daily in the same area the coyote was carrying one away earlier this year. Overall really have not seen a change in deer numbers as compared to last year. And yes there still is a big drop in numbers as compared to 5-6 yrs ago. But we have seen a big increase in body size over the past 3 seasons. Could be attributed to soybean planting on my farm or just overall less deer. I have seen less deer on the farm I hunt in Warsaw, Cadiz, Bazetta. And Rome. But still deer there. I drive to Ashtabula 3x a week to fish and see less deer on rt 11 as compared to years ago. Still see some. All these areas are areas that get hunted heavy. I am seeing a distribution problem. In areas that have not allowed hunting or are leased up. There seem to be plenty of deer. Just hate threads like this. I believe coonie when he says he sees plenty of deer in his area. As he should believe me that I see less in my area. Pretty much people that are on this site as regulars are pretty passionate about hunting and know how to kill deer. So it can be pretty insulting when the odnr says. Well you didn't get one cause you didn't hunt in the corn. Or you didn't hunt the acorns. This year I already saw a headline. Record corn could hamper hunter success in 2012. How do they know. Corn looks good by me. Should be out of fields by mid oct.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.