Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Lots of new lines on the market!

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Flatheadmaniac 
#1 ·
Anyone going to give some of them a shot this year?
I dont use regular mono much, but when i do i prefer Berkley Big Game and Big Game Supreme in 20-30lb tests(mostly Ohio R. fishing).
I have been researching this new line by Stren called Magnaflex, its a mono thats suposed to be like 24% stronger and more abrasion resistant than Berkley XT, XL and Big Game lines???(so they say?) I HATE Stren lines and have always thought they were junk, i might try this one and see how i like it though?

Also looks like there are a ton of new "super lines" on the market..i still dont like these type of lines because of the ZERO stretch and very poor abrasion resistance they have. I have had so many problems in the past with Fireline and Spiderwire when they first came out and i first tried them, i lost lots of fish because of breaking the line on the hook set(i dont set the hook like a girl;) ) the ONLY good use i have found for them is for hook links on my carp rigs, thats it!

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Good replys guys

BB, i have heard a lot about line color..but that for mostly for BASS fishing, cause they are more sight aware of things like that.
I too prefer the darker colors for most of my fishing..also prefer Co-polymer lines over mono, i used to use that Excalibur line and loved it a lot..only when i found a better line like G-power did i change(plus the G-power smoke color blends very well even in clear water, which i fish a lot for bass)..if it wasnt for that i'd still be using excalibur now!
I dont think bright lines are needed unless you have bad eye sight, or are a hard core line watcher, or use a black light for night fishing, but thats just me...now if we are talking cats..man they dont care if its neon orange..they will take a bait fished on a cloths line man!! They mostly go by scent rather that sight to feed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.