close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lots of new lines on the market!

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Flatheadmaniac, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Anyone going to give some of them a shot this year?
    I dont use regular mono much, but when i do i prefer Berkley Big Game and Big Game Supreme in 20-30lb tests(mostly Ohio R. fishing).
    I have been researching this new line by Stren called Magnaflex, its a mono thats suposed to be like 24% stronger and more abrasion resistant than Berkley XT, XL and Big Game lines???(so they say?) I HATE Stren lines and have always thought they were junk, i might try this one and see how i like it though?

Also looks like there are a ton of new "super lines" on the market..i still dont like these type of lines because of the ZERO stretch and very poor abrasion resistance they have. I have had so many problems in the past with Fireline and Spiderwire when they first came out and i first tried them, i lost lots of fish because of breaking the line on the hook set(i dont set the hook like a girl;) ) the ONLY good use i have found for them is for hook links on my carp rigs, thats it!

2. I have got some good reviews of Iron Slik. I think that I will give it a try. I still have not go any reviews about TUF Line XP (I'm looking for a Whiplash replacement for surf casting).

3. I will stick with Trilene Big Game for most of my fishing, it has never given me a reason to change.

4. I'm going to stay with the Big game lines and Power pro lines. Seems to do the job.

5. I will stick with my Fireline, it performs well enough for me.

6. The only braid I use is Power Pro. I have tried Stren, last season and I'll never use it again. Silver Thread has never let me down and have had almost no twists, none at all when I change on a consistant basis.

This year I might try the Cajun line and Jinkai line. I just have bad memories of what happened last time I left the Silver Thread at home:mad: :eek: :eek:

7. I like silver thread and offshore angler line, although I've got a spool of iron silk on a pole right now, I haven't fished it yet but it cast great and ties good knots.

8. How do you like that Offshore line? The price looks good. 1700+ yards of 8lb. line for $4.99........can't beat that!

9. I get the offshore angler extreme in the bright yellow, 30lb test, and it's a great copolymer for the price, I've landed many nice flats and channels on it. It ties good knots and is abrasion resitant as I fish it alot in the tailwaters on the Ohio River.

10. Do you guys think line color makes a big difference? I can't seem to bring my self to use green, orange or yellow lines. I have heard, that for clear water pink line disappears or is less visible.

The smoke color, like Yo-Zuri or G-line seems okay.

11. Years ago the only line I would use was ande, in green color..I caught a lot of fish on that line, bass and cats!

12. Good replys guys

BB, i have heard a lot about line color..but that for mostly for BASS fishing, cause they are more sight aware of things like that.
    I too prefer the darker colors for most of my fishing..also prefer Co-polymer lines over mono, i used to use that Excalibur line and loved it a lot..only when i found a better line like G-power did i change(plus the G-power smoke color blends very well even in clear water, which i fish a lot for bass)..if it wasnt for that i'd still be using excalibur now!
    I dont think bright lines are needed unless you have bad eye sight, or are a hard core line watcher, or use a black light for night fishing, but thats just me...now if we are talking cats..man they dont care if its neon orange..they will take a bait fished on a cloths line man!! They mostly go by scent rather that sight to feed!