close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looks older to me

Discussion in 'Ohio Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by blainesdaddy08, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Not good at ageing what's ur thoughts

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Attached Files:

2. Huntnfool

Huntnfool Banned

Im going to say 3.5 year old. Starting to get the swell in his back but his nose still looks little long. He is also lacking mass from that picture anyway.

3. Only thing about the rack is I bet he is within 3in of what he was last year he didn't gain or lose any mass or tune length that's why I thought he may be older with his big body

4. THat deer is Atleast 4.5....More than likely older.

5. I'd say he's past his prime, maybe on the way back down, better take him

6. I agree with Kaiser and Slayer...he is at least 4.5 and done.

Black Dog Bowfishing Pro Staff

7. I was guessing 5 1/2 before reading everyone's guess. I am sticking with that because I also thought he looked like he was on his way down.

8. Thanks guys I thought he was going down hill I just wasn't forsure, and I just couldn't locate his home last year to take him. I have him pretty patterend right now and I will be just as happy taking s deer that age as I would be a big buck

9. Id be dang pleased to take him!! He is a nice deer!

Black Dog Bowfishing Pro Staff

10. 5 1/2 maybe 6 1/2 take him he is mature for sure

11. Huntnfool

Huntnfool Banned

I have never heard of deer going down hill at 5.5. Pretty sure there peak years for racks are 4.5 to 6.5 and there fully mature body wise at 4.5 please correct me if I am wrong. the drought could of effected his rack that is one possability. kaiser is probably right he could be older. You have pictures of him fromt he previous years.

12. Looks older than 5.5 body just looks wore down lotta swag in his neck and chest

13. My answer; he's old enough, kill him.

These conversations crack me up. There is no way anyone can tell how old a deer is by looking at it. Once they pass 3.5, they all look the same, or different...either way you can't age them by the appearance of their body. I've got a buddy that has a bunch of deer in a 100acre pen. You cannot tell the 4 year olds from the 8 year olds. You can't tell by the mass of the antlers, or the length of the tines, or by how big their gut is. Like people, deer come in all shapes and sizes. None of which are indicators of age. Heck, the buck I shot last year had everyone saying "3.5". I show them trail cam pics and they say the same thing. Funny thing is the trail cam pics are from the previous year!

He's old enough to get your heart bouncing in the tree...kill him dead.

14. if you want a wall hanger kill him he's old enough. if you want good tender meat let him walk . he will be tough because he's old.

15. I do have pictures of him from last year at home I'll try to find them on the computer and let you see them. As for him having tough meat that's how I like my jerky lol I usually get the tenderloins then everything else becomes jerky.

16. No way that's deers 3.5 at least 5.5 years old

17. Deers lol Sorry I'm a little slow

18. By the way Brock you make some very good points. Good info

19. well then put him down the first chance you get. he will make fine tough jerky. lol