close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking to Hunt Ohio Hogs

Discussion in 'Sell - Buy - Trade Hunting and Fishing Goods' started by JLM195650, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Heard tell some parts of Ohio have trouble with wild pigs. Here to offer my services to shoot all you want and will gladly share the meat. Retired military so available to hunt year round.;)

Bryan six likes this.
  2. Down around me right now they seem to be more myth than fact!!! I have heard of people seeing them supposedly but I have yet to see a hog, or even hog sign!!!

3. I've never seen them on the hoof but I have seen them in BBQ sauce.

Vinton furnace near some of the research plots they have been spotted.

I personally have found a few wallows and sign in zaleski.

Probably more likely to see a Sasquatch than a hog unless you have dogs or trap.

Bryan six likes this.
  4. Have seen plenty of sign in vinton furnace while turkey hunting. Never seen one though. There's a lot of rugged terrain there as well as old clear cuts that are extremely thick. I'd imagine killing a hog there would be quite the task. Then getting it back to your truck may be even harder. I've crossed some ravines in there and climbed hills chasing turkeys with just my gun that made me question my own sanity.

Bryan six and ohihunter2014 like this.
  5. I've seen a couple of places where they rooted up the ground and found one wallow at Turkey ridge in vinton county. Never seen one though.

6. I know a girl that shot one in Vinton county . Her granddad has a place there and he keeps a feeder running year round . She showed me a picture and that's a little better than big foot . But she is the only person I know that has seen one in this state . Now if you are looking for one heck of a challenge then try and get one in Ohio . If you want better odds go south . They say 1/2 the population of hogs are in Texas .

7. Me and a buddy went hog hunting in zaleski about 3 years ago. We hunted from top to bottom without a single sign of a pig. We finally went to the rangers office and asked where exactly is you're pig problem here. The lady gave us a strange look and said they haven't seen a hog around here in years! I don't know why the dnr had zaleski highlighted in red but it seems to me that they need to get their stuff straight and work with hunters willing to eradicate the problem instead of giving generic and outdated information.

8. That info is very generic. They are around there and in good numbers if you find where they live. USDA has trapped enough to probably greatly reduce the numbers. They trap whole groups at a time. There was a guy on here that did guided dog hunts down there. My buddy gets them on trail cam south of McArther about 10 miles. Some huge ones occasionally.

9. There map also showed the north west corner of Preble county in red . I lived and hunted there for over 30 years . I know a lot a farmers and a lot of hunters that know a lot of other farmers , and never have I ever heard anyone say anything about wild hogs in this area .

10. It's weird because you would think if the McArthur area had hogs that they would be in my stomping grounds but I have yet to see any???? I'm not complaining though, ferril hogs is not something I look forward to seeing regularly!!!

11. I seen a hog at a taxidermists in Logan that was shot in Vinton county that was a Russian bore looking hog!!! Looked like the real deal, I just figured the fenced in hog hunting place in McArthur had a few dig under the fence??? It was huge btw!!!!

12. Agree !! We don't need them here !!

13. There might be one that grew when the transport truck of pigs tipped awhile ago. You would think they wouldn't risk infestation and caught all of them.

14. I was deer hunting from a treestand during gun season close to the Hocking/Vinton Co. Line 2 years ago. There was some shooting on the neighboring property like they may have been doing a deer drive. All of a sudden I saw an animal coming around the hill directly toward my tree. I was shocked for a moment and I couldn't believe my eyes. It was a pig, not huge but just right you'd think for the BBQ, and I was trying to make sure that's really what it was and if there was any way it could have been somebody's pet pig. It was running and by the time I had all this figured out and could have offered a clean shot, it was by me and continuing on around the hill. I kept looking and hoping for one more to be following it but never saw another. If it had ever happened before I may have been more confident in the possibility that you just might see a wild pig and they are legal to shoot should the opportunity present itself. So just be ready if you're in that area cause it will all happen fast.

15. I had a guy show me a few spots down south, I see pigs about 50% of the time on public land. I didn't hunt for a year after he showed me because he ask that if I go down to give him a call. Due to my work schedule at the time we could never hook up. So after talking and still not being able to hook up for hunt I made about 7-8 different trips. Somehow missed a sow at 120yds with my slug gun but she had about 8 piglets with her and killed one of them. Seen another pig on another trip but no shot. Seen another sow with 5 piglets at 40yds but they were on a ridge and was I using a 30-06 and bullets would of been flying for miles so I never took the shot. They moved quick but I knew the thicket they would head to so I took off up the hill. Never seen the sow but shot one of the last piglets before it made it into cover. Around the 5th trip down I caught a boar and a medium pig running up a ridge at 150yds. Found and opening and waited, hit the boar hard, knocked him down, he rolled down the hill. He got up and went over the top of the ridge. I found blood where he rolled and trailed him but the blood was gone within 40yds. I was new to pig hunting and basically just tracked it like a deer. It headed into the thickest cover. I made a big circle around the cover, prob a 1 mile trip around the cover looking for blood, tracks or anything coming out. Never found any, spent a good 3-4hrs trying to find some sign. It was starting to get late so I headed into the cover but never found it. I figured out later I was tracking wrong. Holes can plug up with fat and not bleed. I have no doubt the boar was dead in the thicket that was 1/2 mile wide and 1/2 mile long. I started reading about tracking pigs about a week later. I looked through the thicket next time down but didn't go through the whole thing, to worried about pushing the other pigs out. After not seeing anything the next couple of time I figured I pressured them to much and they moved out of the area.

I won't even give the general area I hunt in so don't ask, lol.

Couple tips I found
    -Every pig I caught feeding was on the top quarter of a ridge
    -I would hunt all day, up and down the ridges
    -I ended up working the ridges with the wind in my favor. That means both sides. Work my way down a side of a ridge with the wind in my face then backtrack and work the other side, backtrack and move over to the next ridge and repeat. Had to cover a lot of the same area but you have to keep the wind in your face or at least a cross wind.
    -The most important thing I figured out
    is "WHEN" to hunt them. Only way the pigs and going to be out on public land during the day is if there is little or no pressure. If there is a hunting season in, especially deer(including archery) I won't waste my time. Little bit of pressure and they are gone. I hunt when no one else will be in the woods for months. There are always a few people but not like hunting season.

Hope this helps

16. IMG_0252.JPG Here is the three I got on public last year.:oops:....

bilman63 likes this.
  17. That made me laugh . Good one !!!

bilman63 likes this.