Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my 10 year old on his first deer hunt this year during youth gun season. Trying to get ready now and need to get him a gun so he can begin shooting. Any recommendations?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Get a 20ga. As far a wich is the best gun who knows take him and have him hold some of them and see witch he is comfortable with. U could go get one but it mite be to heavy for him. I would say look at the mossberg bantom or kids version of the modle 500 good luck

·
Registered
341 Posts
I bought my son a mossberg 510 20 ga pump and we love it. It's the shortest and lightest youth model pump we found plus it came with two 1 inch stock extenders so as he grows the gun will grow with him. It shoots a slug real good and patterned great with a turkey load also. And it will handle 3" shells.

·
22,524 Posts
Remington 870 in 20 guage would be a good choice-but make sure he tries a few other models to see what is the best fit.

Youth model pump shotguns from companies like Remington and Winchester have a shorter stock and thus shorter length of pull, but the actual pump stroke is unchanged in many pump action guns. I have seen 10 - 13 year olds have trouble with this. In order to cycle the action, the forend must travel the same distance forewords and backwards as any other 3" pump shotgun.Some young shooters have trouble with this, either "short shucking" by not bringing the forend fully to the rear before trying to push it foreword again or by not pushing the forend fully foreward and thus not locking the action into functioning.

These issues can be overcome with practice and training, but it is much easier for kids to operate a semi auto or single-**** shotgun, which are other options as well. A proper sized semi auto also has the benefit of having less felt recoil.

Remington has a Compact version with a lengthened forend in their auto version, which elimnates the fore-end issue-

The 870 has a history of being reliable and cost is reasonable, but there are options in the auto version which may be a better fit.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
cant go wrong with the 870...they may even make a youth model...but i feel single shots are more safe but have more recoil...good luck...:D

·
7,173 Posts
One big issue with shotguns for kids is recoil. Youth model singles and pumps are great in many ways but they tend to kick because they are so light. I went the 870 route with my kids but a semi auto would have been better but money was an issue.

My boys both killed their first deer with muzzleloaders. MLs are great for kids because you can practice with light loads.

What I did with my daughter was she shot a .22 a lot to get proficient with sighting and trigger control. She didn't shoot her 870 much but I had her dry fire it a bunch. I sighted it in an only had her fire a couple of shots to make sure it was shooting where she looked.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
With a muzzleloader you can load light loads to reduce recoil. You can pick up a used one for a good price and have it cut down. Keep the cut peace and it can be put back in when the boy is big enough. The gunsmith in my area will cut one down to fit for $25. My wife is small 5'1 104 pounds. She shoots a youth 870 20 gauge. It's triger length is 2 inches shorter than my 870 12 gauge. As 56 said the action still has the same stroke. On the Win youth the forearm is closer to the chamber but have fun if you ever want a riffeled slug barrel for it.
I also agree with sam on doing most practice with a .22 . No reason to set up the flinch factor.

·
Registered
129 Posts
a 22 for practice and a muzzle loader with a reduced load for actual hunting is a great combo. There are some youth model muzzle loaders out there also or you can have the stock cut down. My 8 year old daughter killed her first deer last fall with a youth model Remington 700 ML. worked perfect.

If sold on a shotgun the 870 is hard to beat and replacement stocks can be had cheap as he grows up and the youth stock gets too short.

Either way the main thing I would recommend is a lot of practice and IMO the 22 is perfect for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts